Precocious Agave!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Precocious Agave!

Post by edds »

Finally got around to getting my Agave seeds going this year. I put mine into soak overnight before then sowing them in compost but this morning found one has jumped the gun!

Hope you can see the white blob.
Agave impressa
Agave impressa
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: Precocious Agave!

Post by Tina »

Impressive :lol:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

:lol:
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Can Agave and Yucca seeds be sown by putting them in some water and then just let them be, as one can do with papery like seeds from bulbs such as Cyrtanthus and Habranthus?

Anyone tried that for a few weeks?
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

No, I don't think so
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Aiko wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:36 pm Can Agave and Yucca seeds be sown by putting them in some water and then just let them be, as one can do with papery like seeds from bulbs such as Cyrtanthus and Habranthus?

Anyone tried that for a few weeks?
I've had them germinate in water but I wouldn't leave them in it for too long and any that germinate need taking out fairly promptly.

Agave Dave's website shows a more technically efficient way of doing things!
http://www.aridhouse.plus.com/seedsowing.html

He says there though to remove after germination but I don't know if he's left them for longer and seen what has happened.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

edds wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:07 pm He says there though to remove after germination but I don't know if he's left them for longer and seen what has happened.
Keeping them in the water for longer: I mean until they germinate. Cyrtanthus and Habranthus seeds germinate well when I keep them in the water for a week or two. Then once the root (and sometimes the first leave) is about once centimeter, I pot them up. So I keep them in as long as it takes to germinate. I just don't know if this is the way to go for Yucca and Agave. They do well when sown in moist soil, but in water only thing might be even better. Of course, for a limited time.
agavedave
Registered Guest

Post by agavedave »

Some of mine germinated in the pods. Stalk and core of the plant has been kept in the house since last November. This particular agave was late to the party and waited until September to flower. The pods were still green.

There’s another thred here
https://www.agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?t=13030

Ones that had sprouted went straight into compost,

I germinate all of my seed on wet kitchen towel and as soon as a root is visible I drop the seed into a hole in the compost followed by a couple of drops of water to settle them in. Ideally before any root hairs are visible.

Fresh seed will be up in 2-3 days at 23 deg C. If nothing has happened by day 6 then nothing will.

Regards
Dave
Attachments
Seed from green pods
Seed from green pods
IMG_0007.jpeg
Last edited by agavedave on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
agavedave
Registered Guest

Post by agavedave »

Seed sprouter has had an upgrade.
Attachments
IMG_0104.jpeg
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Very fancy - mine are just sat on the top of a tropical fish tank when in water.
Ed

BCSS member 53038