Mammillaria ID

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Mammillaria ID

Post by ianstrutt »

Hi, I’ve recently purchased this plant sold as m. crucigera. I’m not at all convinced by that ID - I bought it because I like it more than anything. I was thinking it could be karwinskiana- does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!
IMG_0818.jpeg
IMG_0817.jpeg
IMG_0816.jpeg
IMG_0815.jpeg
IMG_0814.jpeg
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: Mammillaria ID

Post by Tony R »

Yes, I would call it M. karwinskiana ssp. nejapensis.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I'm not sure how anyone could have sold this as Mamm Crucigera, I'd agree that M.Nejapensis seems fairly OK for this one. A real Crucigera that size would sell for £50 or more online.

Stuart
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Thanks both. I’ll update my label.

Looking at other plants the seller offers and their eBay descriptions I don’t think a lot of effort goes into correct identification. I put in a low offer for it and was surprised it was accepted to be honest. Some prices for other plants are a bit eye watering.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.