Variegated copiapoa

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Variegated copiapoa

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

Picked this little copiapoa hypogea last year from Southfields. As you can see, in just over a year it has become markedly more variegated. Or has it? Can anyone explain the dramatic change in colour? Why has it become more yellow than it was previously? There is very little green and it's on its own roots so I'm amazed how well it's doing for me.
GridArt_20240325_081709136.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: Variegated copiapoa

Post by Tina »

Hi
Can't explain it but love the colouring.
I have a variegated gymnocalycium where the yellow grows at a faster rate, could it be some chimera properties
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

As long as some of it is GREEN it means that it has some chlorophylls in the body. The mutant/variegated yellow bit has no chlorophylls (yes there's more than one type of chlorophyll). The yellow is a mixture of other pigments including xanthophylls, carotenoids and flavenoids, which are red-orange-yellow colours. Chlorophylls are required for carbon dioxide fixation and plant growth. You could graft it onto a suitable stock if it becomes all yellow.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Tina wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:53 am Hi
Can't explain it but love the colouring.
I have a variegated gymnocalycium where the yellow grows at a faster rate, could it be some chimera properties
I have a small soehrensia that's partially variegated. The yellow seems to grow a bit quicker that the green for me as well.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.