Aloe polyphylla

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aloe polyphylla

Post by edds »

Sorry, should have been more specific - cotton buds loaded with pollen!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
DesertPlant
Registered Guest
Branch: OXFORD

Post by DesertPlant »

Coming back from being away for two weeks I'm always a bit anxious to see how the plants have gotten on. Much to my surprise I found this!

First time I have one of my own seed grown polyphyllas flowering! This plant is most likely from seed sown in the winter of 2018/2019, and not my biggest plant. Only one plant showing buds, so if people are interested in swapping pollen, please let me know.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

That's got there pretty quick!
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Great work. Think mine might be taking a break from flowering this year.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

That's fast from seed to flowering, well done, do you feed often ? or just a happy plant.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I've never kept one alive long enough for it to flower so lots of envy here :grin:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I'm now on the hunt for a variegated one, my friend sent me a photo of his, always another plant to wish after
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
DesertPlant
Registered Guest
Branch: OXFORD

Post by DesertPlant »

I've seen only a few photos of variegated ones!
Haven't fed much, but it's been re-potted a few times, and last time I mixed in some feed granules. That was last year, did feed it once this year with some liquid feed. My strategy so far has been mainly to pot them up early and in bigger pots than you think they need. They fill out quickly in new pots. My oldest, only one year older, has been in a same sized pot (50cm diameter) for 3 years now, and hasn't grown that much the last two years. Can't really go any bigger or I can't get them into the greenhouse for winter, and can't easily leave them outside here in Oxfordshire over winter. Did try that in winter 22/23 with some and last all those which stayed outside. Having said that, some in the greenhouse this year suffered from some rotting leaves, but all have pulled through. I wonder why they were rotting, maybe water was dripping on them or something, but I couldn't really tell.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

It might be worth trying them outside with a rain shelter. Mine is planted in the ground in Nottingham and doing well so far! My friend has one in a half barrel outside that hasn't been covered for the last few years.
Ed

BCSS member 53038