Epiphytic cacti

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Maria J
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Re: Epiphytic cacti

Post by Maria J »

My mum's one has done exactly the same thing Phil!!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
anders
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by anders »

Phil_SK wrote:

> I've read somewhere that yellow and white Schlumbergera hybrids
> need quite a bit of warmth to avoid turning pink.

True. I have often seen that buds located close to a cold window turn pink while the rest of the flowers attain whatever colour that particular hybrid should have.

anders
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by anders »

The only summer-flowering (July) epiphytic cactus I have had was an Epiphyllum oxypetalum (not 100% sure of the ID). It was even larger than the hybrids, very bulky and difficult to keep upright.

All other epiphytes I have tried (Rhipsalis, Lepismium, Schlumbergera, Hatiora, Epiphyllum hybrids) have flowered in autumn, winter or spring.