Cacti and Tropical fish

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
stephen
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Re: Cacti and Tropical fish

Post by stephen »

I'd never have thought of that but it is worth ago. Better to use the heat and light which is there anyway. I have a 4' x 2' box with heater and flourescent tubes I keep in a spare room for germinating and bringing on seedlings but most winters it has little in it. I'll see what I can fit in the tank without affecting the light to the fish,

stephen

BCSS - Grampian branch in north east Scotland.

A passion for the unusual - particularly variegates. Always looking for the greenhouse equivalent of the Tardis!
stephen
BCSS Member

Post by stephen »

Tina,

Thats quite a collection to look after - how on earth do you get away on holidays? We've enough bother with the plants, fish and two cats.

A passion for the unusual - particularly variegates. Always looking for the greenhouse equivalent of the Tardis!
stephen
BCSS Member

Post by stephen »

Well spotted. I have two pink gouramis, a silver and honey gourami, 5 different corydoras, a catfish and two larger green Severum cichlids. The latter are a bit aggressive at times so any small fish (tetras, danios etc) end up as live food. They also destroy any plants which I try. If they cant eat them they chew them to death. If only I could put a couple of cacti in there to put them off the habit!!!

The tarantulas would not go down well - the shrieks would be heard in Thailand if either my wife or 11 year old daughter found them on walkabouts.

Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Roy »

I think most people I know seem to have kept tropical fish at one time or other and we have many shops selling fish in this area so maybe the question is do many tropical fish keepers have cacti? My favourites were Apistogramma ramerizia. A week or so of chopped worm and soft water and they would go into breeding mode and then I would have the pleasure of them looking after their eggs and rearing their young
Member Bcss