BCSS Round Robins

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris43
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Re: BCSS Round Robins

Post by Chris43 »

I wrote twice, by email, to the address given in the journal asking to join one, but never got a response. So came to the conclusion that if that was the standard of response, I was better out of it.

Sad, really.

Email Robins anyone?? Or a Forum? now there's an idea.

LOL.

Post Edited (11-20-06 17:00)
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Hi Chris ill stick with the forum too , why would you call a letter a "robin" anyway? 8-))

Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Umm... what is a robin? An email that each person adds something to, and sends to the next person?

So, we add on a little about our favourite Gymno or so on, and pass it to the next?

Sounds fun. Best to have some guideline on length, I can waffle for (p)ages!

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I was a member of one of the seed raising & propagation robins for a few years, and still am a member of the cold hardy robin. The reason for sending back to the robins co-ordinator rather than the next member is that if one member fails to send on the robin, it can be put back in circulation rather faster. (The co-ordinator keeps a copy of all entries, so can re-issue a lost robin.) A robin can be an excellent way of acquiring new knowledge, new friends, new (free) seeds/cuttings/seedlings; but it can also be a bit frustrating when the robin disappears for a long time. Like the forum, there is a wide range of expertise, from complete beginner to seasoned grower.
If you're interested in any of the topics that are listed in the journal as robins needing new members, have a go. You can always leave again (but please send it back first!)

Mike T
Sheffield branch
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Yes, waiting a year for a robin to come round is a shock to my system, which has become used to emails that might come back in minutes.

Cheshire, UK