postings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roy
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

postings

Post by Roy »

Why is the postings counter no longer accurate? The figures have gone backwards but not returned to zero.
Member Bcss
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Re: postings

Post by CactusChris »

Roy,
I can't see what you mean - perhaps it is a moderator's only view - but I see no postings counter. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.....

Chris

BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

Hi Chris,
if you click on any authors name you will get the users profile up. In that profile is the number of posts they have made. Colin Walker commented a while ago, I think it was 2000, on the number of posts he had made yet his counter shows only a few hundred and mine shows well short of what it has previously shown. Possibly it is now not a reliable indicator of usage?
Member Bcss
Colin Walker
Branch: None

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Roy,

Yeah, I noticed that my total had slipped a lot. I asked Chief Mod about this, but she didn't seem responsible.

So, hey Mods, maybe we need an explanation here now please, since Roy has gone public on our loss of postings.

Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University

Post by Guest »

Hi Colin,

I am not guilty on this either, my count has also dropped. Perhaps we have had an upgrade or something although nobody bothered to to tell us.

Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Bob,

Okay, if you Mods are not guilty, someone else has nicked our postings!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Could the server have deleted old threads to save space, and the deleted threads removed from our counts?

I never noticed that there were post counts here. How many have I made? Am I Queen Spammer yet? :)

A friend had a board of the type phpBB ? or something like that, and the post counts went wonky. It was easy for him to fix as he knows all the website/forum writing stuff.

He did give an explanation of how he fixed it, but it was waaaay beyond me.

It's some software thingy, not any human being, from what I gathered.

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Is there a time limit for posts to be kept in the database or has there been a clear out of old posts, if so could it be related to the number of posts held on the database rather than ever made?????????

As far as un upgrade goes Phorum have stopped support for the last version of version 3 which was 3.4.8, we are running 3.4.4 and the current version is 5.1.6a. :-0

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Hi Bill and others,
Tony Mace who provides this Forum on the BCSS Servers (same as the Cactus Mall effectively) knows well about the out of date aspect of the Phorum software. It was supported by someone previously but very much on a favour basis. I have offered help, and he did ask me to take a look at updating it, but to be honest I have run out of time on several occasions, and also am just a bit unsure about my ability to do it. I can do html, web site stuff, but it was the conversion of the SQL database that made me a bit leary about it all. Should be straight forward, but I'd be lost with SQL if it were to go wrong.

I'm sure if someone with the ability would offer, he'd be very happy to hear about it - or tell me and I'll put them in touch.

I know he does clear out old stuff, so if the counters are based upon just the number of posts in the database - quite likely in my view - then that probably is the explanation.

Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Hi Julie your on 280 And this brings me to 392 but i was fairly sure i was very near 500 ?????

Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.