What would you do with this

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roy
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

What would you do with this

Post by Roy »

What would you do with this I wonder?
Attachments
4R2qRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAACAAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAAPsLAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9
4R2qRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAACAAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAAPsLAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9 (45.53 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
Member Bcss
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: What would you do with this

Post by Cactus Jack »

Habitat collected Roy ?? 8-))

Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Short of of putting it in the compost bin, chop it??????????????

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Dirk Everaerd
Registered Guest

Post by Dirk Everaerd »

Wait untill spring en cutting high and low, first to put in soil and second to make babys!
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

In the spring I'd pot it in something bigger and richer and get it growing then chop the top off.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia

Post by Guest »

Hi Roy,

What happened to it the dreaded red spider??

If so it would be sheep dipped and the top cut off the rest in the green collection bin.

iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Nurture it, it has character ;)

Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Put it on eBay! Call it "old" and then you'll get the bids rolling in!

Or chop it's head off and root it.. poor cactus, what am I saying?

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

Hi all,
well there is a bit of a story to this, all is not what it might seem. In reality it is a little bit of a success.
You may recall last year I posted a photo of my friends Pachycereus tepamo and said it came from the ELK. Tony Mace responded and stated he had taken a tray full to the ELK that he had grown from seed and he still had some somewhere but they were in such an awful state he would give them to anyone for the postage. My friend asked for some and got some, one he gave to me. They were indeed in a very bad state and I did not have much hope for my plant as it appeared that the growing point was damaged. However I potted it up and put it in the propagator and I now seem to to have enough to make a mark free cutting this year or next and as Dirk says hopefully the stump will also make more offsets.
Attachments
4Ss0RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAACAAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAAPsLAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9
4Ss0RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAACAAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAAPsLAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9 (59.76 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
Member Bcss
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

....this was what the first plant looked like, I photographed it because of its beautiful spines.
Attachments
4SkCRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA4BAgAgAAAAhgAAAA8BAgAFAAAApgAAABABAgAKAAAAqwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtQAAABsBBQABAAAAvQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAVAAAAxQAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2gAAAJUCAAAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgAFNPTlkAQ1lCRVJTSE9
4SkCRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA4BAgAgAAAAhgAAAA8BAgAFAAAApgAAABABAgAKAAAAqwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtQAAABsBBQABAAAAvQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAVAAAAxQAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2gAAAJUCAAAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgAFNPTlkAQ1lCRVJTSE9 (84.9 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
Member Bcss