Pleiospilos Nelii.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Julie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Pleiospilos Nelii.

Post by Julie »

I was wandering about the same garden centre that I whipped the Forby seeds from.. and the poor denuded mother had been sold. Hopefully to a good home. There were also two meloformis, but I resisted as I have one already.

However I did not leave without a plant. A big fat Lithops-looking mesemb with a pointy roof caught my eye.

Here is Nelly. I gather she is not quite like a Lithops - but needs more water.

She is big - here she is in a two inch pot. Does anyone know how old she might be?

Also, does anyone else have a Nelly? According to Google she has beautiful flowers.

Attachments
4QDuRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAHAA8BAgADAAAASFRDABABAgAHAAAAYgAAABoBBQABAAAAaQAAABsBBQABAAAAcQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAeQAAAGmHBAABAAAAjQAAAAAAAABIZXJtZXMASAAAAAEAAABIAAAAAQAAADIwMDY6MTI6MjcgMTc6NTg6NTUABQADkAIAFAAAANEAAAAAkAcABAAAADAyMTAJkgMAAQAAAAEAAAA
4QDuRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAHAA8BAgADAAAASFRDABABAgAHAAAAYgAAABoBBQABAAAAaQAAABsBBQABAAAAcQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAeQAAAGmHBAABAAAAjQAAAAAAAABIZXJtZXMASAAAAAEAAABIAAAAAQAAADIwMDY6MTI6MjcgMTc6NTg6NTUABQADkAIAFAAAANEAAAAAkAcABAAAADAyMTAJkgMAAQAAAAEAAAA (14.36 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Julie
Registered Guest

Re: Pleiospilos Nelii.

Post by Julie »

Here is her skin! The flash has made it look shinier than it is.

Poor Nelly has a puncture that looks like it was made by a cactus spike (a quarter of an inch deep, and half that width), I didn't notice until I got her home. I'll suphur it.

Post Edited (12-27-06 19:55)
Attachments
4QDuRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAHAA8BAgADAAAASFRDABABAgAHAAAAYgAAABoBBQABAAAAaQAAABsBBQABAAAAcQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAeQAAAGmHBAABAAAAjQAAAAAAAABIZXJtZXMASAAAAAEAAABIAAAAAQAAADIwMDY6MTI6MjcgMTc6NTg6MjcABQADkAIAFAAAANEAAAAAkAcABAAAADAyMTAJkgMAAQAAAAEAAAA
4QDuRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAHAA8BAgADAAAASFRDABABAgAHAAAAYgAAABoBBQABAAAAaQAAABsBBQABAAAAcQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAeQAAAGmHBAABAAAAjQAAAAAAAABIZXJtZXMASAAAAAEAAABIAAAAAQAAADIwMDY6MTI6MjcgMTc6NTg6MjcABQADkAIAFAAAANEAAAAAkAcABAAAADAyMTAJkgMAAQAAAAEAAAA (22.49 KiB) Viewed 2018 times

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I'm having trouble judging the scale on that first shot, but there's no mistaking old spotty! It might seem big compared to a Lithops but they get a lot bigger. I think this is a 9cm pot.
[img]http://www.galleries.thegardenforums.or ... nelii5.jpg[/img]

As for more water than a Lithops, I'm not so sure. The big ones certainly don't need a lot.

Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Ian, she is about 6cm high, 6cm wide and 5cm along the fissure.

Thanks for the pic. That is a whopper! Hope mine has a beautiful flower like that one. She has a few pinholes, owing to being wonkily placed in the pot and packed next to spikies, I think. *rolls eyes*

iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

That's a pretty good size, you will hopefully get a flower next year. Any damage to the leaves will be gone soon when a pristine new pair grows from inside just like a Lithops.

Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Yeah! One injury is a worry, it's about 1 cm deep but I have painted some sulphur in there with my fertilising brush.

All of them are above the fissure, though. It's amazing to think of a little whole plant growing inside... I wish I had X-ray specs!

Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

For anyone who's interested, I've found some more info on Nelii... can't wait for new leaves after seeing this pic!

A rubra exists! :D

--------

And a question for Ian... how can I tell if my Nelly has flowered yet? I can't see anything in the fissure, it seems slightly concave with nothing at all sticking out. The fissure is half the plant height, so I am guessing than new leaves are not very advanced. There are several old pairs of leaves at the base, the most recent is as dry as the first.

It's not wrinkled at all, should I risk a little bit of water if I want a flower?

Post Edited (01-03-07 19:23)

iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

X-ray specs on P. nelii in about September, a typical time for the fissure to open.
[img]http://www.galleries.thegardenforums.or ... nelii7.jpg[/img]

More or less as it appears today, the flower stalk is still obvious even 6 months after the left head flowered.
[img]http://www.galleries.thegardenforums.or ... nelii8.jpg[/img]

Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Hmm, mine is still at the slot type fissure.. but I don't see the new leaves' fissure. I guess they are still hiding inside the current leaves. And I detect no flower bits, soo...

I have all the fun to come!

iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

If its indoors you could give it some water, but don't expect much activity until the sun comes out.

Cheshire, UK