Anyone fancy having a bid?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roy
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Anyone fancy having a bid?

Post by Roy »

Hi Phil,
well unfortunately you have the advantage over me because I don't know who this person is. Looking at the location of the plant I could hazard a guess but I could be very wrong so I won't.
I suppose it depends where you stand but I take the view that this Society should be aiming to benefit all members,not just those who wish to make a quick buck. Standard trading rates do not cause me any problems. When all is said and done ebay has the where with all to do it's advertising without our assistance.
I do compare what happens in our hobby with one of my other interests flight simulation.I can go on any number of sites and download literaly thousands of aircraft that enthusiasts have spent hundreds of hours creating and would have a commercial value of around ?20each and I can get them freeware. Check out Avsim or Simviation if you think I am exagerating. Unfortunately I do not see that sort of commitment to this hobby.
I am suprised you have decided to stay away from the forum because of what people have said, possibly me?. It is always your option to put your opinion forward and if you feel offended indeed you sould do so, perhaps this is a good time to be more specific about your complaints?
Member Bcss
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Hi Roy,

I think there are plenty of people giving plants away for free or nearly free (you know who you are!), just for the joy of spreading around the plants or a little pin money for new pots. Admittedly not usually 20-year-old habitat Copiapoas or force-fed Japanese Ariocarpus, but still interesting well grown plants. I'd like to thank all those people because they've helped me build up my collection in the last few years.

As for eBay, my main problem is just that the small plants I am mostly interested in buying cost as much to post as I can buy them for at a show. Plus I don't get to see the plant first. Oh well, each to their own. The best sources of, for example, Lithops, aren't easy to find in the Yellow Pages ;)
Cheshire, UK
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

Phil,
I was not objecting to ebay - I was not objecting to the seller - just to the continuous stream of topics "have you seen this...etc". While I accept this is a part of the hobby it has almost become spam like and although I accept I can just pass them by I still find it boring.

Best regards

Chris
BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

Hm Trevor,
I hope you noted the smile at the end of my posting - it was said tounge in cheek! I have a very distant nephew in Broome and was informed he had a large cacti collection and I did wonder at the time how available they were in Austrailia.
Member Bcss
Trevor
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Trevor »

Roy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hm Trevor,
> I hope you noted the smile at the end of
> my posting - it was said tounge in cheek! I have a
> very distant nephew in Broome and was informed he
> had a large cacti collection and I did wonder at
> the time how available they were in Austrailia.

No problem Roy, I didn't figure you were serious, but I have considered getting a bit deeper into the commercial side of growing, but have doubts as to the profitability - maybe someday I'll take the plunge!!
My response was more to Bills' "doesn't Australia have some of the tightest import laws in the world" bit....which we have, and I guess for good reason. My only beef with the Qurantine people would be their lack of knowledge and consistency.
Sorry if my response didn't come across as I intended...
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

Hi Ian,
if you look at this site I agree people are swapping quite a lot but how many people are we talking about? It's nice to be able to quote how many people are signed in but in practice only a hand full are active. As I said I have no gripe with anyone selling plants at a fair price.
Member Bcss
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

I hate to say this again but surely a fair price is what some one is willing to pay for something and it's an auction the seller is not setting the price, it might not be a sensible price, but if that's what some one wants to pay for it, then that's down to them.

And to be quite honest Roy I have found that very few C&S growers (there are exceptions), even the real enthusiasts give away much more than the relatively common stuff. There are plenty of Haworthias that I want, my list is there for all to see, yet I have not had even one offer of a swop from list let alone a freebie.

And I am not sure whether the number of posts abnout Ebay is realy a problem, most of the the 1-2 a week attract quite a few comments with the conversation moving away from the actual Ebay sale, one was some one asking what the plant was and another was about a very useful greenhouse that was on there and another hightlighting the potential tax implications. Perhaps to keep both sides happy this could be the first forum Sub-Section, Selling ang Buying????

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Well for something seemingly boring to some it certainly has led to a wide and varied discussion which I think is what a forum is all about really.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

It's even led to some debate on the Flemish forum:

http://forum.tuinadvies.be/10_4346_Zot_geworden.htm
Dirk Everaerd
Registered Guest

Post by Dirk Everaerd »

I am the one who started the topic ( Cactelders) and a lot of people talk about the foolisch price and are arguing :will it be sold or not ? But whatever it is a beauty as grafted plant but with a pricecard 4X the value
On a normal auction with a zero ? start the bidder is only a few pounds foolischer than another bidder, but starting at 395? is never seen for such an item. I guess the seller will keep his plant and find some "room".LOL