Eden Project

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
SteveH
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Eden Project

Post by SteveH »

I'm planning my first trip here and was wondering if anyone else who has been can tell me if there's anything of interest for the Cactophile. I've looked on their web site, but it's lacking info re the actual plantings.
Steve
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Re: Eden Project

Post by Vic »

I went there a few years back and it was more of the exotic and jungly plants. There was a mediterranean style garden which had a few succulents but I can't recall much in the way of cacti. Saying that there may of been changes since. Still well worth visiting, the main glasshouse/dome is fantastic, it even has a waterfall.
Victoria
BCSS Member
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Victoria »

I agree, I went there the year before last and it was superb but very few cacti and succulents which I duly complained about in the visitor survey they gave me!

Definately worth going though, you really feel like you are in the 'jungle', the huge waterfall is fantastic and the size of some of the plants very impressive. I found the outside exhibits to be very interesting too, but the whole place is related to how we relate to and use plants so can feel a bit overwhelmingly educational at times.
Victoria

BCSS Member since 2005. My collection has been somewhat neglected since starting a PhD but I am particularly keen on Crassulaceae, succulent Pelargoniums and South African bulbs.
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

Agree - last time i went, the best selection of cacti was in the shop!
Jungly bit is good though!

Nick
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Isn't there a 'desert' biodome planned or did I imagine it?
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

I seem to remember there was an arid area, but it was under construction. That was about 3 years ago. Sounds as though they haven't got much further. That's a shame.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

The Edge at the Eden Project.
Cheshire, UK
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

The Eden Project has a sizeable collection of cacti and succulents housed at its Watering Lane nursery near St Austell. They are biding their time there until they can go in the desert biodome, but I don't know when that will be built. I did wonder if it would be worth enquiring whether one could visit by prior arrangement to see them. Perhaps they would consider a group visit.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Mal
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW

Post by Mal »

Hi Steve, I went there two months ago,not much in the cacti/succulent department, but a very good visit anyway. now is a good time to go as it will be empty, and here,s a tip don,t wear a coat or you will melt.... Mal West Drayton.
Mal. Aylesbury vale Bucks. cacti and succulents. T.S.G.member.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I went in 2002, when it was still fairly new. The tropical dome was very impressive with fast growing trees/tree sized plants. The dry dome was a bit disappointing, but gave the impression it would be rather better once the plants had grown in for a few years. There were a moderate number of succulents then, they should be a bit larger by now.
Some pics from 2002 attached
[attachment 1735 Eden01aloes.JPG]
Attachments
4RcpRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA
4RcpRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA (96.09 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525