"Not More !" I hear you say........

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Trevor
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

"Not More !" I hear you say........

Post by Trevor »

Sorry if I'm boring anyone with all the stapeliads I'm posting, but nothing much else new is delivering in the flowering department at the moment !!

Piaranthus decorus
[attachment 1744 IMG_4066a.jpg]
Attachments
7Q1wUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNA+0AAAAAABAASAAAAAEAAgBIAAAAAQACOEJJTQQNAAAAAAAEAAAAeDhCSU0D8wAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAOEJJTQQKAAAAAAABAAA4QklNJxAAAAAAAAoAAQAAAAAAAAACOEJJTQP1AAAAAABIAC9mZgABAGxmZgAGAAAAAAABAC9mZgABAKGZmgAGAAAAAAABADIAAAA
7Q1wUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNA+0AAAAAABAASAAAAAEAAgBIAAAAAQACOEJJTQQNAAAAAAAEAAAAeDhCSU0D8wAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAOEJJTQQKAAAAAAABAAA4QklNJxAAAAAAAAoAAQAAAAAAAAACOEJJTQP1AAAAAABIAC9mZgABAGxmZgAGAAAAAAABAC9mZgABAKGZmgAGAAAAAAABADIAAAA (78.91 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Trevor
BCSS Member

Re: "Not More !" I hear you say........

Post by Trevor »

Stapelia "Unknownicus" but I'm leaning towards S. gigantea - A bit of a smell that I can pick up, but it must have something special in it that the flys like, coz there's plenty of them in the greenhouse today....

Regards to all
[attachment 1745 IMG_4052a.jpg]
Attachments
7Q2mUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNA+0AAAAAABAASAAAAAEAAgBIAAAAAQACOEJJTQQNAAAAAAAEAAAAeDhCSU0D8wAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAOEJJTQQKAAAAAAABAAA4QklNJxAAAAAAAAoAAQAAAAAAAAACOEJJTQP1AAAAAABIAC9mZgABAGxmZgAGAAAAAAABAC9mZgABAKGZmgAGAAAAAAABADIAAAA
7Q2mUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNA+0AAAAAABAASAAAAAEAAgBIAAAAAQACOEJJTQQNAAAAAAAEAAAAeDhCSU0D8wAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAOEJJTQQKAAAAAAABAAA4QklNJxAAAAAAAAoAAQAAAAAAAAACOEJJTQP1AAAAAABIAC9mZgABAGxmZgAGAAAAAAABAC9mZgABAKGZmgAGAAAAAAABADIAAAA (96.83 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
Trevor
Susanne
Registered Guest

Post by Susanne »

Hi Trevor

Much more please!
Susanne South Wales Branch

Post by Guest »

Trevor,

No problem at all, I like the look of them but the smell is to much so pictures are great.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

More...more...

Post by Maria J »

Post as many as you like, I totally second Bob's comment!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Colin Walker
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Trevor,

That's not S. gigantea, but I'll need to check in Peter Bruyns's new book to give you a definite ID. It's something like S. unicornis if Peter still accepts that name.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

Keep them coming Trevor
Member Bcss
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Certainly not boring Trevor! I don't grow any Stapeliads, have done in the past but the flower formations always fascinate me. Not so keen on the pungent aroma that many give off though. Think I'll stick to the lemony scent of plants like Echinocereus viridiflorus or some of the yellow flowered Mamms.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Trevor, they are the least boring flowers I have ever seen! :D
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Trevor
BCSS Member

Post by Trevor »

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. If all goes well I should have a Frerea indica pic in the next day or two, so you're not off the hook yet !!:)

Thanks Colin, I appreciate the info. It definitely looks a lot like S. unicornis, which is a name I wasn't really familiar with - please let me know if Peter Bruyn does still recognise it! And while I'm at it, thanks also for all your contributions to the asclepiad world ! ( I've been re-reading my old reprints of Asclepiadaceae and Asklepios recently, and your name appears quite a lot! )

Regards
Trevor