Todays weather  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Todays weather

Post by Guest »

I hope everybody is ok and their collections safe.

I had a big branch land in the garden but it missed the greenhouse by inches. Also somebodies dustbin lid hit the greengouse but did no damage thankfully I have toughened glass.

The wind is dropping now and gusts only reaching 35mph according to my weather station, earlier this afternoon it was around 70mph. Mind you as those who have been to my place know that I have a view of the Derbyshire moors unfortunately that means the winds as well.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Todays weather

Post by iann »

Here's a tip for you: when the humidity drops by 30% in 10 minutes, you have a little too much ventilation ;)
Cheshire, UK
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I'm OK and my plants (currently in the spare bedroom) are OK. My greenhouse had a polycarbonate panel pop out but it didn't get far.
Different story at school where one of the windows blew in on the corridor just along from my classroom. The wind managed to open a pair of smoke doors and blast the glass yards down the corridor beyond the doors. Luckily, it happened just at the end of lunch when the corridor was empty. Ten mins later it would've been packed with kids lining up to go into their classrooms - there would've been serious injuries. A branch came off a big Lombardy poplar into the field and the kids were trying to drag it around and videoing each other on their phones which amused me.
Hopefully, this might be the last of these storms - a cold and presumably more settled spell is forcast.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Victoria
BCSS Member
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District

Re: Todays weather  Solved

Post by Victoria »

Surprised to hear the glass shattered like that, from what I remember from school they always had wire in the glass to stop that.

Greenhouse ok here though and most of garden too thankfully although fence came down so I have grumpy dogs and ferrets who can't go out and play.

Definately fingers crossed for calmer weather I really need to get my new greenhouse up, not a nice prospect in the rain and wind :\

Hope everyone's damage is minimal, you really know you are a cactus/succulent nut when the first thing you think when waken in the night by storms is 'is the greenhouse alright?'
Victoria

BCSS Member since 2005. My collection has been somewhat neglected since starting a PhD but I am particularly keen on Crassulaceae, succulent Pelargoniums and South African bulbs.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

[quote]Victoria Wrote:

Hope everyone's damage is minimal, you really know you are a cactus/succulent nut when the first thing you think when waken in the night by storms is 'is the greenhouse alright?'[/quote]

Even worse is when you text the kids and tell them to check the greenhouses when they get home :D

Winds have probably been the worst they have been this winter but apart from a few branches and the odd slate off the roof, no real damage here.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

I'm pleased to hear that so far everyone is faring ok.
Sorry about the fence panels Victoria. I lost 5 panels in Oct 05 but these new ones seem (fingers crossed!) to be more secure...

As Phil said, now we just have to brace ourselves for the impending cold snap... Brrrr!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

All ok here Bob. Everything on the patio including the dog's kennel moved around 5-6ft, few pots blown over, my mini-greenhouse which had a few plants in that had suffered from rsm blew over but I'm not really bothered about them.

That was a close call then with that branch, a big tree just around the corner cracked in half. Some really sad news was that the managing director of Birmingham Airport was killed in his car by a falling tree, so compared to that everything else seems trivial.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

My parents lost a lot of panels until they put in concrete posts with a concrete gravelboard at the bottom. (They have those kind of neighbours who are more interested in spending all their "incapacity" benefit on fancy fishing gear and watching from the window than helping two pensioners struggling to put a fence panel back in place.)

Since we have clay soil, and the neighbours have a dripping overflow that they don't want to fix despite many requests over the years, all wooden posts rotted eventually. The concrete has been there for a couple of years now and no flying panels.

A couple of potted plants fell down and my terracotta green man is in several pieces. Thermometer took a tumble but the tube survived, even if the clay surround didn't. Both are glueable, though. Some of my mother's bad taste garden ormanents were blissfully rendered the worse for wear. :D

Lithops are enjoying the ventilation of the draughty window.

I wonder about the giant Agave.... since I consider we're lucky to still have a conservatory roof!
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

I heard that 7 people had been killed. Somehow knowing a specific name brings the issue so much closer.
We've had very fierce winds, but apart from branches down in the garden, luckily none near the greenhouse, and a few trees down in neighbouring gardens, no real problems or damage.
Now for the cold snap, which somehow as it promises to be dry, will be a great improvement - so long as the heaters keep working!
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

Chris

Yes one person was killed in Streatly when a tree landed on a Ford Fiesta. Thats about 1.5miles from my house and I drive along that road twice a day.

I found out when I got home but its very odd as I was sitting in the traffic to go throught Streetly village on my way home I did look up at the trees blowing around above me.........

Martin

South Oxon
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection