Todays weather  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Todays weather

Post by iann »

Definitely the worst this winter here. I would have said not the worst in the nearly 7 years I've been here since things I've seen move in the past stayed put, but there is far more damage to neighbour's fences, garage roofs, aerials, and a couple of trees down. Plants are all safe even if my lights did go out for a while.
Cheshire, UK
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Hi Bob and all , the wind eased of here about lunch time, we've had so much rain there should'nt be a water shortage for a long time!! This season has to be the windiest ever :(
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.

Post by Guest »

In the storms of 87 I had a chimney pot come down right into the greenhouse, but it missed every plant. Also my bathroom window popped out frame and all fell into the yard, again missed all the bonsai. This year again no damage to plants/g'house but several ridge and roof tiles came off the roof. phoned up my local roofer and I am about 20th in the queue for an estimate.
North Lincs Mike
Registered Guest
Branch: GRIMSBY

Post by North Lincs Mike »

Dennis

As an ex Chartered Surveyor I suggest you ask for a quotation not an estimate. Most do people fall for "estimates" which, as the name implies, are no better than a guess and can bear no resemblence to the final cost.

Regards Mike
Newish collector/grower; mixed lot in a new 12x18 g/h and my old re-erected 10x8 - good job I didn't sell it !
sandi
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by sandi »

Hi,
I hope everything will be OK. You have such bad weather but in Slovenia, We should have lots of snow, but there is none. We have temperatures around 10 degrees C instead 0 or below. My heater is turned on the very minimum just as a precation if the temperatures would drasticaly decrease. Instead of rain and snow we have sunny days. This world is crazy.

Sandi
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

It sounds like our bad weather is over, for a while at least, Sandi. It is mild as well at the moment, and next week it is forecast to get a lot colder, more like 5C than 14C, down here in the Thames Valley.

Maybe that will acclimatise our plants a bit better.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

The wind is back here , very strong gusts!! :(
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

The forecast is for high winds after midnight and into Saturday, but worst in Northern Island and Scotland, while the worst yesterday was right across the middle of England. The forecast just a few minutes ago was for gusts possibly to 70mph or more. I don't know if this little blast has snuck up on the forecasters a bit or whether they just can't catch anyone's attention at the moment :)

I was out on the road today and there are still a lot of traffic lights out in Cheshire, still some runoff across roads, and signs of hasty removal of downed trees, but overall fairly smooth sailing.
Cheshire, UK
Trevor
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Trevor »

Sounds like you guys are having a tough time of it lately...last few days down here have been pretty odd, cloudywith no sun but still warm (30Deg C +) and very humid. I don't think the plants are particularly enjoying it as they're not drying out after watering, as I had watered the night before this started - already had part of a Huernia turn to mush....Grrrr!

Hope you all get through it unscathed...
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.