Haworthia nigra

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aloenut
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Haworthia nigra

Post by Aloenut »

Here is another of the slow growing miniatures, Haworthia nigra. It multiplies readily by way of plantlets at the end of stolons. However I have found these stolons tend to snake around the bottom of the pot instead of finding their way to the surface.
[attachment 1771 H_nig.JPG]
Attachments
4RX2RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAYAA4BAgAgAAAALgEAAA8BAgASAAAATgEAABABAgAKAAAAYAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQAMABoBBQABAAAAagEAABsBBQABAAAAcgEAACgBAwABAAAAAgADADEBAgAKAAAAegEAADIBAgAUAAAAhAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgANAGmHBAABAAAA0AEAABSSAwAEAAAAmAEAAAGkAwABAAA
4RX2RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAYAA4BAgAgAAAALgEAAA8BAgASAAAATgEAABABAgAKAAAAYAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQAMABoBBQABAAAAagEAABsBBQABAAAAcgEAACgBAwABAAAAAgADADEBAgAKAAAAegEAADIBAgAUAAAAhAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgANAGmHBAABAAAA0AEAABSSAwAEAAAAmAEAAAGkAwABAAA (84.82 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Haworthia nigra

Post by Julie »

Triangular - how lovely! Lovely leaf texture too.

Multiplies readily, but does not get big readily? :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hi Aloe

One of my favorites, I have quite a few of these, as you say slow and steady. I notice yours is as dirty as mine :D Along with a few other Haworthia like springbokvlakensis they seem to have sticky surface that holds small particles of dirt and stones, perhaps a camouflage method.

I appear to have two maybe three "forms" most are the same as yours, but one is much smaller (poss. diversifolia) and the other same stature but has longer leaves almost 30% longer than norm.

During the summer these realy earn their name "nigra" turning nearly jet black.

[attachment 1796 nigra.jpg]
Attachments
8A
8A (98.04 KiB) Viewed 1221 times

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

The only way is up!

So, they get taller, not wider.

I was going to say it does not look very black... my houseleek "something nigra" is a sort of purpley pale green at the moment, and the old leaves are purple. It will be black in the summer too, though.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Yes Julie they can get to about 4" (10cm) tall. Some Haworthia like your houseleeks are rosette growings and grow out rather than up, others grow up like nigra and some do a bit of both.

Just found that the longer leafed form was known as angustata, although this name is not upheld by Bruce Bayer.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Aloenut »

Hi Bill,

I have quite a few forms of nigra. Some have very short chunky leaves while others have longer, thinner reflexed leaves. And then the 'standard form' as in the photo.
The various forms have been given names in the past(schmidtiana and varieties) but have all been lumped under nigra while Bayer recognised the variety diversifolia.