Couple more flowers from today

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David_L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Couple more flowers from today

Post by David_L »

This plant came from Eau Brink last year without a label. EExpert opinion on the forum was that it is Eriosyce napina ssp. aerocarpa. Anyway a little TLC and it's now in flower.
[attachment 3526 Eriosyce_napina_aerocarpa.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAcFBQUFBQcFBQcKBgYGCgwJBwcJDA0LCwwLCw0RDAwMDAwMEQ0PEBEQDw0UFBYWFBQeHR0dHiEhISEhISEhISEBBwgIDgwOGhERGh0XExcdISEhISEhISEhISEhISEhISEhISEhISEhISEhISEhISE
2wCEAAcFBQUFBQcFBQcKBgYGCgwJBwcJDA0LCwwLCw0RDAwMDAwMEQ0PEBEQDw0UFBYWFBQeHR0dHiEhISEhISEhISEBBwgIDgwOGhERGh0XExcdISEhISEhISEhISEhISEhISEhISEhISEhISEhISEhISE (98.83 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
David_L
BCSS Member

Re: Couple more flowers from today

Post by David_L »

I'm afraid my "epiphytes" get terrible treatment. Too much sun and probably not enough water. This one doesn't seem to mind though. No idea what it is.
[attachment 3527 epiphyte.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAkGBgYHBgkHBwkNCAcIDQ8LCQkLDxEODg8ODhERDQ4ODg4NEREUFBYUFBEaGhwcGhomJiYmJisrKysrKysrKysBCQgICQoJDAoKDA8MDgwPEw4ODg4TFQ4ODw4OFRoTERERERMaFxoWFhYaFx0dGho
2wCEAAkGBgYHBgkHBwkNCAcIDQ8LCQkLDxEODg8ODhERDQ4ODg4NEREUFBYUFBEaGhwcGhomJiYmJisrKysrKysrKysBCQgICQoJDAoKDA8MDgwPEw4ODg4TFQ4ODw4OFRoTERERERMaFxoWFhYaFx0dGho (98.44 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
David

Bromley Branch
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Looks a lot like my Grandad's easter cactus.. although I'm not sure which variety it was. If I remember, it was difficult to flower, so you've done well with it, David. :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Bill in SC
Registered Guest

Post by Bill in SC »

Very nice Mike!
BB in SC
Keeping the blues alive!!
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

David

It's what was Rhipsalidopsis rosea, will have to look up current name. I find it grows well in a hanging basket suspended from the GH staging, so out of direct sun (& not using up space that anything else wants)

PS. Checked with NCL: now classed as Hatiora rosea
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Nice flowers, but is that colour appropriate for E. aerocarpa?
Cheshire, UK
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Hi,

Sorry to disagree with Mike T on the identity of your epiphyte, but the plant you show is not Rhipsalidopsis rosea/Hatiora rosea in any of it's guises. The picture you show is one of the hybrids/colour variants of the traditional 'Easter Cactus', Schlumbergia/Rhipsalidopsis/Hatiora gaertneri, which now come in all sorts of shades from white through pink, magenta and red.

R/H rosea has much narrower joints, that colour up purple/red in good light. Flower colours are softer pink and not so 'in your face'.

cheers,
Brian
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

I don't know what "aerocarpa" flowers should look like Iann. Maybe our friends Spiniflores could comment. They've seen these plants in habitat.This is what the plant body looks like. It certainly resembles pictures of aerocarpa I've seen on the web.
[attachment 3536 unknown_eriosyce.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEABALCwsMCxAMDBAXDw0PFxoUEBAUGh4XFxcXFx4dFxoZGRoXHR0jJCYkIx0vLzIyLy9AQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEABEQ8PERMRFRISFRQRExEUGRQVFRQZJRkZGxkZJS8iHR0dHSIvKi0mJiYtKjQ0Ly8
2wCEABALCwsMCxAMDBAXDw0PFxoUEBAUGh4XFxcXFx4dFxoZGRoXHR0jJCYkIx0vLzIyLy9AQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEABEQ8PERMRFRISFRQRExEUGRQVFRQZJRkZGxkZJS8iHR0dHSIvKi0mJiYtKjQ0Ly8 (68.13 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
David

Bromley Branch
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

[quote=BrianMc]the plant you show is not Rhipsalidopsis rosea/Hatiora rosea in any of it's guises. The picture you show is one of the hybrids/colour variants of the traditional 'Easter Cactus', Schlumbergia/Rhipsalidopsis/Hatiora gaertneri, which now come in all sorts of shades from white through pink, magenta and red.
[/quote]I'd agree it's not H. rosea for the reasons you state but I think most of these hybrids are just variations on H. rosea x H. gaertneri. I'd be surprised if plants with rotate flowers had Schlumbergera in their parentage. Dunno tho.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Hi Phil,

As you say, Zygocactus/Sclumbergia have zygomorphic flowers.
I wasn't suggesting it was a hybrid with one of the Zygomorphic epiphytes.

Some of the early hybrids available were between rosea and gaertneri and it did introduce a pinkiness to the Easter cactus flowers, which was a change from the bog standard red.

I know there is a lot of hybridising going on in Germany of both Easter and Xmas cactus.

I just threw Schlumbergia into the fray as I think this plant once went under the umbrella of the genus Schlumbergia as Schlumbergia gaertneri and now that it has gone from Rhipsalidopsis to Hatiora....

I am sure the taxonomists have shares in the Label manufacturing companies!(:D
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse