Lampranthus spectabilis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lampranthus spectabilis

Post by BrianMc »

Mesembs - The mid-day flowers.
This one doesn't get out of bed until 2pm!
Despite the glorious sunshine this morning.
[attachment 3627 D.hispidum03.jpg]
Attachments
+ICQElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAACMEFEQkUCEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB88ABgADAAAAAAAAYWNzcEFQUEwAAAAAbm9uZQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1BREJFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKY3B
+ICQElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAACMEFEQkUCEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB88ABgADAAAAAAAAYWNzcEFQUEwAAAAAbm9uZQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1BREJFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKY3B (93.67 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Another BCSS seed offering was D.eburneum, this time sown in 2004, So compared to the last species, this has lead a rather charmed life with me. It also first flowered in 2005, so perhaps it matures early!

Again the plant is in a 6"clay pot(there for the last month)

[attachment 3628 D.eburneum01.jpg];)
Attachments
+ICQElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAACMEFEQkUCEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB88ABgADAAAAAAAAYWNzcEFQUEwAAAAAbm9uZQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1BREJFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKY3B
+ICQElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAACMEFEQkUCEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB88ABgADAAAAAAAAYWNzcEFQUEwAAAAAbm9uZQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1BREJFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKY3B (88.71 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

A close up of D.eburneum. Perhaps a little more attractive than the D.hispidum foliage, with it's curved leaves.

[attachment 3629 D.eburneum02.jpg]
Attachments
+ICQElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAACMEFEQkUCEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB88ABgADAAAAAAAAYWNzcEFQUEwAAAAAbm9uZQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1BREJFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKY3B (91.06 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

And finally,

a closer view of the flower. Not as striking as the D.hispidum, but there are a lot of magenta flowered mesembs. This, combined with the foliage gives a subtle, delicate appearence.

[attachment 3630 D.eburneum03.jpg]
Attachments
+ICQElDQ19QUk9GSUxFAAEBAAACMEFEQkUCEAAAbW50clJHQiBYWVogB88ABgADAAAAAAAAYWNzcEFQUEwAAAAAbm9uZQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPbWAAEAAAAA0y1BREJFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKY3B (89.83 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Great photos Brian! I love the texture / appearance of the 'leaves'!
Like they're covered in a mini bubble wrap!!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Thanks Brian. My largest plant is about the same size so I'll keep an eye on it. I find they grow very fast if you give them a good root run. Reported size is up to three feet! Still early days for me with Drosanthemum, I also have D. speciosum, but if they do well then I'll get some more species.
Cheshire, UK
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Hi Ian

Lovely plant, great flowers.

Not that it is hugely important, but it isn't a lampranthus - they don't have the sparkly leaves. Or, at least, not to that extent. Most likely one of the myriad delosperma species with that colour flower.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Go and read that first post properly, Paul! :P
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Oops...... sorry.....
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
iann
BCSS Member