EPITHELANTHA BOKEI

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil White
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: WARRINGTON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: EPITHELANTHA BOKEI

Post by Phil White »

Another pot from the same batch. Some of these were grafted hence them sprouting.
[attachment 4936 sb416_pot2.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHAAAAgMBAQEBAAA
8QAHAAAAgMBAQEBAAA (94.28 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

They are lovely, Phil. Are they soft to stroke?

Is that a poor little hollow one? :(
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Lovely plants indeed!
Phil (W) - what happened to the one top right of the pic?
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: MEDWAY TOWNS

Post by Tina »

Great plants Phil,
Maria, two of them have been beheaded, hence the many little pups around top right & bottome left plus you often get sppeded up growth with the grafted plants.

Grown from seed- amazing, haven't managed to get any viable seed yet, I tried Koehres this yr & no success but Cactus & Co had free seed & it was great even pedio simpsonii are growing with no pre treatment & some other Schlero's.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Trevor
BCSS Member

Post by Trevor »

Strange the way things work out differently for people - I ordered bokei seed from Koehres in early this year, sowed in April and got about a 70% germination rate... Makes me wonder how seed sellers do their orders - do they mix all their bokei seed together and then split it up to packets, or did yours come from a different parent plant to mine ? Of course there are no guarantess that mine are actual bokei, probably take a year or two to tell, but they look good so far...

I'm convinced it's all hit and miss, this seed game...I sowed 30 odd Astro Myriostigma and got nuffin' yet all the other astros had fantastic germinations...weird!
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Thanks Tina!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WARRINGTON

Post by Phil White »

Maria,
As Tina says they are sprouting because they have been "topped" ie. the top has been cut and grafted resulting in the sprouting I mentioned.
Trevor sorry to disappoint you but the Koehres seed will end up as a normal micromeris type. Unfortunately they perpetuate the seed from the same parents year after year & they are not bokei. For some reason this seems to be the case with a lot in European nurseries. Mesa Gardens is the most reliable for bokei if not 99% of their naming....definitely the best seed source in my opinion.
Interestingly the pic attached is of Ebokei SB845 (Mesa Gardens) which is a lot wooolier as it gets older. I did have plenty of seed from my own plants of this species/accension last year and offered some here without any takers !!!! All the seed has been sown now & germinated very well.
[attachment 5052 bokeisb845.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHAAAAgMBAQEBAAA
8QAHAAAAgMBAQEBAAA (84.65 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Yep, Phil, this is the one I've got. It gets quite bristly in old age!

If you get any seeds this year, I'll happily take some off your hands!

Cheers, Diane
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Love the wooly one, Phil! Do you know how old it is?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: MEDWAY TOWNS

Post by Tina »

Hi Phil
I think I prefer the junior Bokei, they look silky but wouldn't object to trying some of the seed if/when you have spare.
I'll try to harvest some M.pectinifera later in the yr so let me know if you would like some.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.