For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Diane
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: New member

Post by Diane »

Hi, Tomasz, :welc: to the forum! Peter B has suggested you grow the miniatures, I think that would be a good idea too! There are some lovely "little gems" which take up little space, and won't outgrow your space.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Ray_M
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK
Role within the BCSS: Publications Manager

Post by Ray_M »

Welcome to the forum Tomasz, I agree, there is so much to choose from I cannot make my mind up either.Good growing, from Ray.
Ray Mitchell,member of South Norfolk group.living on Suffolk/Norfolk border,near Diss.Keen on all cacti and succulents,alpines and other plants.BCSS member since 07.Visitors welcome,PM first please.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hi Tomasz

welcome to the forum.

Haworthias are good for a small space, you don't have to be careful where you put your hands or what you brush agianst. ;)

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Watch out Tomasz Bill will have you growing Haworthias before you know it(:P)And I must say they are rather cute.Welcome
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Hi Tomasz
Welcome to the forum
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Hi Tomasz,
I'm with you regarding the Chileans. They grow too slowly to become a problem and when they do get to be large, you will have a nice big greenhouse to put them in!
Welcome!
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Welcome to the Forum Tomasz
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
cactom
Registered Guest

Post by cactom »

Thanks very much to all of you for the cordial welcomes !

In fact I've been growing cacti for some time and tried many genera in the past,some miniature ones. But my motto is: there is nothing very difficult in growing cacti in a greenhouse, but the real craft is to grow them on a windowsill(s) (three windowsills in my case). There are also some positive points in it, first because you usually look for special items which demands from you to be more knowledgeable in the cactaceae family. The second is that your hobby is more dynamic - to find place for new items, you often has to get rid of some other items, which may make your cactus/succulents friends very happy (this way also your neighbours in a place where you live may have a chance to get 'cactus bacillus'). ;)The third one is, that when you happen to send a cactus to The Other World, there will often be no sorrow but a joy that you got a new vacant place on a windowsill to fill. ;)Having been looking for troubles all of my life, I'm sticking to the Chileans by now.
As regards miniatures, at the moment possibly miniature discocacti would put my puls throb faster (but also medium sized or large sized ones also would do) - but this gonna be a long term scheme, if ever, to make a representative collection due to the cites rules.

cheers
Tomasz
Cheers
Tomasz

Polskie Towarzystwo Kaktusowo-Sukulentowe OKMKS
http://www.kaktusy-sukulenty.pl
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Tomasz, your reasons are very well thought out! I see where you are coming from!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!