Haworthia germination

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Haworthia germination

Post by Phil Hocking »

I fancy my Haworthia seeds are being a bit slow germinating. I sowed the seed 23 February and up to 2 days ago had zero germination in 4 pots. Now I have just one H truncata and one H maughanii. Someone said they will germinate at lower temperatures but does that mean they have to have lower temperatures, and if so how low? I have mine on the floor of the propagator, i.e. not sitting above the heating element like the other pots. The temperature is about 85F. Another trick suggested was to soak the pots in boiling water but I don't want to do that now in case some seeds are already well advanced towards germinating. Should I just wait?

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Haworthia germination

Post by iann »

85F is too warm. Is it that warm at night too?
Cheshire, UK
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member

Post by Phil Hocking »

No Ian, the heating goes off at night. Would it be better if I just had them at room temperature, which is just about OK for shirt sleeves but not noticeably warm?

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Hi Phil

Mine are 70-75 day and 60-65 at night, 80 is about the extreme for Haworthia germination. Many people leave them in a unheated greenhouse to germinate, so room temperature should be OK.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member

Post by Phil Hocking »

Thanks Bill, I'll probably put them on a lower shelf under my Envirolite. It is slightly warmer than room temperature there. By the way I have had no further problems with mould since watering with Chinosol. Any news on those other seeds from Mesa?

Somerset Phil
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Not yet, the first ones were slow to arrive though, I'll chase it up next week.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Tom J
Registered Guest

Post by Tom J »

Hi Phil,

When I was still in haworthia, I placed the pots under the bench on the floor. The greenhouse was and still is kept at a minimum of 6°C in winter. So when I used to sow the seeds, they were exposed to 10-20°C for the first couple of weeks. I never had problems with slow germination.

Tom
Growing Mesembs, a way of life...
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Tom, what about Aloe polyphylla?

Mike.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

My Mesa seeds took over a month, but I did do it all by snail mail.
Cheshire, UK
Tom J
Registered Guest

Post by Tom J »

Hi Mike,

Sorry, never tried Aloe from seeds, or even as plants: they are too big :shrugs:

Tom
Growing Mesembs, a way of life...