I've waited a long time for this - RESULT

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AnTTun
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: I've waited a long time for this - UPDATE

Post by AnTTun »

Doesn't mean we have to wait another 40 years for bud to open :) :) :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
JoZoo
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by JoZoo »

You must have some patience Rod. I would be giving it a severe talking to by now. Probably while jumping up and down excitingly. :). Can't wait to see it. Make me look at the plants I look after in a whole new light. I discovered one today older than me but I'm sure it's not the only one :)
Maintain National collections of Copiapoa, Matucana and Turbinicarpus for Chester Zoo
Personal favorites Ferocactus, Astrophytums or anything with a purple or pink colour.
N.D.
Registered Guest

Post by N.D. »

You must be anxious Rod! Keep us posted, we want to share the excitement. The picture is stunning with all those hairs.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

It still hasn't opened. It could be hesitating due to the very cold nights we've been getting. The temperature in my greenhouse dropped to 3.9 degrees C last night - in mid June!! The bud is even bigger this morning and shows definite signs of white. The weather forecast is for a warm day today and a much warmer night, so fingers crossed. I'll have my camera ready.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Re: I've waited a long time for this - RESULT

Post by rodsmith »

Unexpectedly the flower has opened during the morning. I thought this species flowers opened at night... Anyway, the flower measures 5 inches across (12cm) and here it is. Click on the images for a bigger view.
Trichocereus spachianus flower (3) 11 June 2015.JPG
Trichocereus spachianus flower (1) 11 June 2015.JPG
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Dunlin
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Dunlin »

Beautiful. Congratulations!
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Stunning. Let's hope that now it's got the right idea, it will flower again next year! Otherwise.....
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Jane O wrote:Stunning. Let's hope that now it's got the right idea, it will flower again next year! Otherwise.....
...another 40 years - I'll be well and truly in my grave. :wink:
Rod Smith

KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

Very pretty indeed! Well done :smile:

The plant actually looks a good deal like a Trichocereus I have (though I've never quite settled on the species). The flowers were absolutely huge on that one. How big is the flower on your's?
Peter A
Registered Guest

Post by Peter A »

KarlR wrote:The plant actually looks a good deal like a Trichocereus I have (though I've never quite settled on the species). The flowers were absolutely huge on that one. How big is the flower on your's?
A lot of them are quite similar. Apart from the colour of the spines and of the stamens and style it looks a lot like a plant I had flower in July/August 2013, also after 40 years, which I bought labelled simply T. candicans, but which I think should also have read var. gladiatus. The spines on mine may be longer than those on Rodsmith's as well (about four inches at the top), and the stem perhaps slightly thicker (three and three-quarter inches).
ASIPT. cabdicans var. gladiatus.jpg
ASI T.candicans 2013 15.jpg
My plant was self-fertile, with a little help (I wanted to see the fruit but had nothing at that moment to cross it with):
ASIT.candicans fruit 2013 1.jpg
I was doubtful that the seed would be viable, and sowed some of it to find out. In fact it began germinating in less that 30 hours. Nineteen months later the seedlings are growing quickly, and are now an inch high and threequarters of an inch across:
ASIT. candicans var gladiatus seedling 19 mnths old.jpg