Dioscorea and other caudiciforms!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Dioscorea and other caudiciforms!

Post by Stuart Estell »

I've always had a soft spot for Kedrostis africana - it has really lovely leaves and forms nice turnips too. Not sure how sensitive it is to cold though; I've tried it from seed a couple of times and got decent-sized seedlings before killing them with neglect.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Without being an expert, caudiciforms are like most plants and not difficult if you provide the right conditions. For most true caudex plants, this is mostly warmth and getting a handle on their growing season. Generous treatment when in growth, ignore them when dormant. They tend to be tropical from areas with a very dry season and a very wet season, that's why they have a caudex. Pseudo-caudex plants may behave very differently ;)
Cheshire, UK
lenbell
Registered Guest

Post by lenbell »

I've got a few (self-sown) seedlings of Kedrostis africana if a few people would like to give one a go. I wouldn't expect it to be that hardy, but in winter the vine dies off, so it can be stuck under staging, etc. I aim to keep my greenhouse above 39F, but it goes lower at times, and the tuber has been fine.
Len Bell, Born-again Colchester member of the Clacton Branch BCSS; Mesemb Study Group; Mamm Soc & Haworthia Soc.
On the Forum since Sept 2007. Particularly keen on ... Lithops; Adros; Haworthias; Mamms;Lobivias;
Eriosyce; Euphorbias; Astros; Notos; Conos; Aloes; Agaves; Feros; Stenos; Echinocerei; Etc.; Etc.; ...
View a few at: http://picasaweb.google.com/len84bell/
Fellow Forum followers' visitations welcome. Please PM first.
Dennis
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Dennis »

Maria, Tina

I will hold the two spare Cyphostemma plants back for you both. They are in 3.5 in pots both with hefty roots/caudex. Another plant I have is Mestoklema bulbosum. Again very easy to grow and will take the cold.
Dennis

growing Mexican and S. Amererican miniatures, many from seed. All in sunny Merseyside.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Yes indeed Julie! You have a good memory! It is still doing fine thanks! Mind you, it's still asleep at the mo so won't know until the vine appears! Wakes up much later than my other 'ele'!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Maria J
BCSS Member

Post by Maria J »

Excellent! Thanks Dennis!

Will look up this (new to me) name too!
Maria

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Maria J
BCSS Member

Post by Maria J »

Lol Wendy! Well they do say that it's the thought that counts! ;)
(And that's about as far as it goes with me!!)
Maria