My National Haul

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: My National Haul

Post by Stuart Estell »

If I remember rightly Sandi the hintonii plants that size were either £6 or £8 from David Quail - bigger flowering size ones were £12. Unless the camera is deceiving me and that's actually one of the larger ones!

Seriously good value though.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

Uebelmannia was £4.50, it has a little damage on at the bottom, but that should grow out fairly quickly (by this time next year easily) hence why I figured I'd give it a nice home ;)

The Aztekium's were available from at least two different places at a very similar size, Succulent tissue culture was selling for £24 whilst the other place (I can't remember name) was selling for £12, presumably seed grown, it doesn't look like it's been grafted/degrafted at all so I grabbed one from there. Pretty sure that's still the lowest ratio of cactus mass/per £ I've ever spent though ;)

The Abbey brook ones in the second tray were ones I requested for the show beforehand, 3x Pilosocereus Magnificus (I love them ;)), 1x Cipocereus Bradei (I still want more if anyone knows an additional source!), 2 notocactus graesnerri. I thought the Melo looks like Matanzanus but is labelled as Brederooianus which is a synonym of M. Bahiensis, it looks like it could possibly be planning to grow a double headed cephalium also.

In the first pic, the tallest is Cereus Peruvianus, the next tallest two are Trichocereus Pasacana and the shortest two are Trichocereus Terschekii. These 5 are the candidates I discussed in another thread to go outside but am not sure if I can bring myself to put such nice specimens out ;)
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

There's a Cipocereus bradei in there, isn't there? Who was asking about them on here a few months ago? Was it you?

EDIT: Our posts crossed!
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart Estell »

Why not put one each of terscheckii and pasacana out - then at least you've got an insurance policy.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

I probably should but I'm still not sure I can condemn even one of them ;)

The Terschekii's I might as I have plenty more of those, the Pasacana's I have a smaller one of I might put out instead (about half the size) and see how it copes.

Yes Phil, I've managed to get one at least, hoping to get a couple for my collection though if not only so I can pollinate between them when they grow up a little more!

I did manage to get a fair amount of seeds at least from succseed so I can grow some from seed (enough to provide some to other forum members in a year or twos time when they're big enough) but obviously having seen Marlon's pictures they're by far one of my favourite cacti now and I'd certainly like to get a decent sized specimen as soon as possible!
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Nice 'haul' Stuart! I like (until you tell me it has glochids! ;)) the one in the bottom left corner!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart Estell »

Bottom left is a form of Maihueniopsis (Puna) subterranea, Maria. Yes, some glochids but not enough to really worry about :)
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I presume from all the Cerei you bought Ian you are going to graft all the others?:lolbt:

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Colin Walker
Branch: None

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Stuart,

That's a good balance of C & S - I approve.;)
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Colin Walker
Branch: None

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Stuart,

From where I am currently I can't take and photograph my National purchases. I did pre-ordering of agaves from Gerard Gelick and echeverias from Derek Bowdery of Eau Brink. At the eleventh hour I finally got to Succulent Tissue Culture where I spent my National Show winnings on aloes: A. bulbicaulis (from it's name you might guess that it dies down to a bulb in the winter; the leaves are long and thin and not very succulent), A. albiflora (from Madagascar), A. affinis fleurentinorum (spelling?, but this is from Arabia and has wonderful really thick, chunky leaves). I'm also delighted to have the rare S. American Echeveria ballsii with habitat data. From the photo in John's new Echeveria book, in good light this plant can produce really dark edged leaves. I've never seen a plant of this species before.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University