My few new ones, plus a question

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

My few new ones, plus a question

Post by Phil Hocking »

Somehow I managed to buy just cacti this time. Nothing against succulents but the ones I fancied were ones that I knew would quickly die on me. Anyway, I was rather taken with the Thelocactus bicolor v. texensis, which has superb long central spines, but apparently that is an 'invalid name'. However, the websites I looked at didn't say what the valid name is. Also Stenocactus anfractuosus is apparently another name for S. crispatus. That's OK because I don't already have that one. The others are Echinocereus breviseta (presumably aka brevispina), Echinocereus hancockii, Echinocereus palmeri, Stenocactus multicostatus and Ortegocactus macdougalli.

Somerset Phil
[attachment 13308 myhaul_1a.jpg]
Attachments
myhaul_1a.jpg
myhaul_1a.jpg (89.94 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: My few new ones, plus a question

Post by iann »

T. bicolor var texensis is a name for a form of T. bicolor ssp bicolor.
Cheshire, UK
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member

Post by Phil Hocking »

Here's a close-up of that Thelocactus. It's quite different from the Thelocactus bicolor v. tricolor that I have. For a start it has a bud whereas my fair sized clump has never flowered. Then there are those central spines, which are actually thin and flat, not cylindrical.

Somerset Phil
[attachment 13326 Thelocactus_2a.jpg]
Attachments
4Rs6RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAWAA8BAgAKAAAAFgEAABABAgAIAAAAIAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAKAEAABsBBQABAAAAMAEAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAQAAAAOAEAADIBAgAUAAAASAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAANAIAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAAAAAAAAAOkAwABAAAAAQAAAASkBQABAAAAXAEAAAW
4Rs6RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAWAA8BAgAKAAAAFgEAABABAgAIAAAAIAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAKAEAABsBBQABAAAAMAEAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAQAAAAOAEAADIBAgAUAAAASAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAANAIAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAAAAAAAAAOkAwABAAAAAQAAAASkBQABAAAAXAEAAAW (87.76 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

That Thelo's a little beauty Phil!
Nice selection! :)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

Hi Phil - The E. breviseta looks an attractive plant. Is it particularly rare / difficult, such that it merits a grafting and a ?£4 tag?
Nick
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

I think that the Echinocereus breviseta is a form (cultivar perhaps) of E. davisii or E. viridiflorus ssp davisii. It seems to lack the longer spine sof the normal form, but the dark small body suggest that to me.

There is an article in the CSSA Journal Vol 2 on Page 91 about a form of davisii called brevispina. It may be that one, in which case it isn;t very common, so worth its price no doubt.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member

Post by Phil Hocking »

Yes, well worth 4 quid as it is quite rare. Even better at 2 quid though, because I dithered so long I got it when they announced that all their plants were half price! Ditto the Echinocereus hancockii, which looked like it might develop some nice spines.I'm not keen on grafted plants but I can always take a piece off and try to root it, leaving the scion to make some offsets. Incidentally I left out part of the name - it is E. davisii v. breviseta

Maria, I spotted that Thelo after wandering around half a dozen times making my mind up. I had already got to my self-imposed quota but that one seemed special so I exceeded the quota (as usual!). I didn't really leave myself enough time to have a good look at all the exhibits, hence not many photos.

Somerset Phil
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Phil, I bought an Echinocereus davisii ssp. brevispina 8 years ago at the National, a grafted one, seems to be very slow growing (as is the type!) and this year succumbed to RSM, I sliced the top off and regrafted, hoping the remaining stump will offset. I also bought seed of it from Koehres, and have one seedling, only time will tell if the spination develops the same.

I also have a large Thelocactus bicolor var texensis that now has four good sized heads - a very handsome plant!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Is your "Echinocereus breviseta" this Phil?

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ECHINO ... spinus.htm

Breviseta would mean short bristles and brevispina short spines. In any case the gender would be wrong seeing Echinocereus ends in "us" it would be brevispinus or brevisetus

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member

Post by Phil Hocking »

E. davisii v. brevispinus is the correct name. I don't think brevisetus exists, and as you say it should end in 'us' because Echinocereus ends that way. I do hope the spines develop like those at Cactus-Art.

Somerset Phil