My few new ones, plus a question

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
DaveW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: My few new ones, plus a question

Post by DaveW »

Mind you if published as a cultivar brevispinus would be an invalid name anyway. As discussed in a previous thread, since 1959 cultivars cannot be given a Latin name or latinised one. So somebody would have to name it along the lines of E. davisii 'Shorty Spines' as brevispinus would not be allowed.

"Since 1959, new cultivar epithets must be in a language other than Latin and they must be unique within the so-called denomination class which is usually the genus. A few groups have special denomination classes and these may be found listed in Appendix III of the Code"

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

......unless it was published as a species or variety or form first, which it doesn't seem to have been.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Thought you might like to see the flower on the Thelocactus bicolor v. texensis I got at the National. This is it yesterday - oddly it hasn't managed to open properly today because of those long flat spines pressing against it.

Somerset Phil
[attachment 14068 thelocactusbicolortexensis_4a.jpg]
Attachments
4RdGRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAWAA8BAgAKAAAAFgEAABABAgAIAAAAIAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAKAEAABsBBQABAAAAMAEAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAQAAAAOAEAADIBAgAUAAAASAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAANAIAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAAAAAAAAAOkAwABAAAAAQAAAASkBQABAAAAXAEAAAW
4RdGRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAWAA8BAgAKAAAAFgEAABABAgAIAAAAIAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAKAEAABsBBQABAAAAMAEAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAQAAAAOAEAADIBAgAUAAAASAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAANAIAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAAAAAAAAAOkAwABAAAAAQAAAASkBQABAAAAXAEAAAW (61.1 KiB) Viewed 652 times
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Phil White »

Missed this post whilst we were on holiday.
Thought my seedlings of E. davisii v. brevispinus may be of interest.
[attachment 14103 davisiibrevispinus-700.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (83.29 KiB) Viewed 652 times
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by CoronaCactus »

Great plants!