Inter City Show - Los Angeles, CA

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Inter City Show - Los Angeles, CA

Post by Tina »

Hi Darryl
Thanks for the pictures, lovely plants & such inidividual pots, do you have lots of independant potters?.

That crested Euphorbia was very unusual.
it's a 2 day event ? which must be very tiring for people or is it the biggest social event of the yr ?.
[attachment 13439 crestedeuphorbia.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHAAAAgMBAQEBAAA
8QAHAAAAgMBAQEBAAA (12.96 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by CoronaCactus »

Hi Tina,
Thanks!
Yes, there are quite a few potters that frequent the sales. Even some from Arizona & Nevada that make the tour. They have some great pots, but they can get pricey. But it's near impossible to find deep narrow pots for those taproot plants anywhere else. Short of using pipes or other creative means.

This is the biggest show of the year here, as far as most show plant entries. I think this one had around 1600-1800 plants.

Most Show & Sales events here are 3 days, Fri thru Sunday. With only a few 2 day events (Sat/Sun) I'm sure it takes it's toll. I don't show plants, but it's a bit of work to prepare and transport 20-40 flats of sale plants!
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Some fantastic plants there Darryl, thanks for sharing your pics:)

Interesting pots too, I was surprised when I visited a private collection in Tucson a couple of years back that everything was grown in terracotta pots, expecting them to be plastic with the seering desert heat so they don't dry out too quickly and here in the UK we tend to use plastic with our wetter more humid climate!
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thanks Vic.

hehehe, i hear ya, seems backwards don't it ;)

When growing in plastic pots outside around here, they have the potential to get too hot and cook the roots. (especially black pots!) When we grow them in clay/terracotta, they do dry out quicker, but they also allow a bit better breathing.
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by David_L »

Wonderful show. So many great plants.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Dot
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Dot »

Thank you for your wonderful pictures of your recent Show in Los Angeles.
Whilst our National Show is fresh in our minds, it is great to see a Show from your part of the world.
I do like the use of decorative pots which is not really popular over here. The splendid pots plus plants together make a real Show exhibit, after all there is an element of Showmanship about exhibiting a plant.
I am already looking for some pots for next years show plants,-does any one know of a source of good decorative pots in the UK?

At the National, there was just not enough time to see all the Show plants, or get around all the trade stands, or to chat to people, so I think you have the right idea in the States to hold Shows over few days.
Dot
Zone 3 Rep.