Well that's that one repotted for another 30 years.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
IanW
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Well that's that one repotted for another 30 years.

Post by IanW »

I wasn't going to but DaveW's comments in another thread starting giving me ideas, and, well, I've put one of my saguaros in it's new home in the bedded area of my greenhouse. Had to move a few occupants around and kick a T. Terschekii outside, now I just hope it survives there and the Saguaro survives in the bed!

[img]http://www.xest-net.org/misc/ghouse/01-09-2008/bed1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.xest-net.org/misc/ghouse/01-09-2008/bed2.jpg[/img]

Still room left in the bed for a few other plants in the odd gap here and there too ;)
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Well that's that one repotted for another 30 years.

Post by DaveW »

That's a very nice plant Ian.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
IanW
Registered Guest

Post by IanW »

Here's it's slightly less pristine buddy, hey, maybe in 50 years when I own a 50ft high greenhouse I'll even be able to cross-pollinate between them ;)

[img]http://www.xest-net.org/misc/ghouse/01- ... guaro2.jpg[/img]
Devrim
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Devrim »

they look nice together now Ian, but don't you think they'll be overcrowded once they get larger?
Devrim, Izmir/Turkey
member of BCSS and MSG

IanW
Registered Guest

Post by IanW »

That's certainly a worry! I tried to space ones that grow larger out, my greenhouse isn't the biggest so it's inevitable unless I find additional space in the next 2 years that I'm going to have to chop some of them unfortunately.

It'll take the Saguaro a long while to put on size so that's certainly less of a worry for a good few years, if the others begin to crowd the saguaro it's off with their heads or out into the cold depending on species!

Some are in there purely to put on size a little quicker with a free root run anyway. But primarily I think I'll just wait until it becomes an issue to figure out what to do with them all. By moving the saguaro in there I actually cleared some decent staging space so if I need to move some of the shorter but wider growing ones out like the E. Grusonii that's in there then I can do so providing I don't fill the space in the meantime ;)
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Hi Ian,

I don't know what soil you have used or what sort of drainage you have put in place, but I see your gravel level is the same as that outside the greenhouse. I know if I tried that in my greenhouse the soil would remain too wet and would lead to root rot (especially in Winter. If your bed was in the middle of a large greenhouse it might not be a problem, but so close to the outside, I think, could be disasterous. I hope not.

Good luck,

Brian
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Wendy W
Registered Guest

Post by Wendy W »

Nice gardnes Ian, Now how can I possibly make one of those kind of gardens in my dining room where there is lots of light hmmmmmX(
Wendy
Interests still varied but learning a great deal
IanW
Registered Guest

Post by IanW »

Hi Brian, there is some waterproofing between the edge of the greenhouse and the bedded area and it's ábout 2 foot deep around 90% gravel with the other 10% being a little soil mix around the roots so that they at least get some water and feed when I feed them rather than it drain right through. I'm guessing this should be okay?
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

Is that an Elite greenhouse you've got Ian?
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

lenbell
Registered Guest

Post by lenbell »

That's a handsome plant Ian. I'd be tempted to get one, but at my age what's the point?

With your bedding mix I'd be more worried about the plants being too dry! The soil in my greenhouse is dry as dust, but that's because there's a blooming great Sycamore nearby.
Len Bell, Born-again Colchester member of the Clacton Branch BCSS; Mesemb Study Group; Mamm Soc & Haworthia Soc.
On the Forum since Sept 2007. Particularly keen on ... Lithops; Adros; Haworthias; Mamms;Lobivias;
Eriosyce; Euphorbias; Astros; Notos; Conos; Aloes; Agaves; Feros; Stenos; Echinocerei; Etc.; Etc.; ...
View a few at: http://picasaweb.google.com/len84bell/
Fellow Forum followers' visitations welcome. Please PM first.