Your least favourite greenhouse task.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
saxocactus
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Your least favourite greenhouse task.

Post by saxocactus »

My least favourite task has to be removing the ivy that keeps growing up through the cracks between the concrete slabs on the floor of my GH. It's a real pain - especially since the worst bits are alwasy at the back of the staging where it's very difficult to reach.
Not quite so new to cacti now - greenhouse up and running - a cactoholic is born!! Visits welcome - just get in touch.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Your least favourite greenhouse task.

Post by DaveW »

Can't you dab the leaves with Roundup or something similar being careful to remove the cacti first?

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Done it!

Post by Lindsey »

Lindsey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
taking
> every plant out of the conservatory and giving the
> entire interior a thorough clean

[size=large]I did it...[/size] exhausted now! - but the windows are gleaming. Hubby fitted a new top shelf for me. Hoping plants will thank me this winter.
Is everyone bubblewrapped up?(:P)
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Trevor
BCSS Member

Re: Done it!

Post by Trevor »

Lindsey Wrote:

> Is everyone bubblewrapped up?(:P)

Nope !! MOOOOHAHAHAHAHA :gve:

Spring is sprungen' ! :mex:
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Clarke Brunt
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: bubble-wrap

Post by Clarke Brunt »

Lindsey Wrote:
> Is everyone bubblewrapped up?

I did just the roof of my 20x8 (feet - proper greenhouse units!) over the weekend, after two winters with no insulation.

After not looking forward to doing it, it was actually quite a pleasure - helped having the right stuff for the job - triple ply 'large' bubble wrap from LBS horticulture, and assorted 'Alliplug' fasteners.

The greenhouse (Greenhouses Direct Rhino) has 4 enormous ventilators in the roof, which I've left un-covered - will have to decide later whether to devise some method of bubble-wrapping these as well.

Then there's the question of whether to do anything about the sides - perhaps I'll do a bit at the top of the ends, but aesthetically I still want to be able to see in/out, and the greatest heat-loss is surely the roof.

We'll see how that affects winter electricity consumption. On one side, I'm frugal with energy use in the house, and have both thermal and electric solar panels, but then I go and blow some of it on heating a greenhouse (not by much - only aiming for 7C).
--
http://www.viridis.net/ Photos of cacti etc. in habitat
Colin Walker
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: bubble-wrap

Post by Colin Walker »

Geeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Clarke this sounds like a mega task. Bet you're glad that's done? Hope it does have the desired effect in terms of cutting down the power bills.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University