plumosa

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: plumosa

Post by iann »

And pretty soon it should have flowers too. The plant that keeps on giving :)

P.S. Mine is now touching the sides of a 2.75" square pot and still no pups!
Cheshire, UK
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Its a lovely plant Joy, I have a more or less identical one, which I raised from NCSS seed in 1974. It grew into a nice clump and filled a 6" pan, and then languished on my mums windowsill totally neglected for about 20 years, until I rescued it last year, and rooted an offset. It is now making pups and growing like the last 20 years didnt exist!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I have a small clump that I bought at a branch bring and buy (or auction - I forget which) for £1. Some, well most, of the heads looked dead and when I repotted it recently I did have to remove a several dead ones, but two are definitely growing, one I think has some green to it and the fourth is impossible to tell, so I've left it on for now. I heard once that they are winter growers and mine has just started to grow, so I guess that might be true. Or it might be the repotting. Anyway, a good investment of a pound.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Not really winter growers, but that is when they like to flower. Depending on how you keep them over winter, you could get flowers in autumn, spring, or both. With indoor warmth and an occasional splash of water you could have flowers any time during winter.

If anything they are a bit of a pain in winter. They should be fairly hardy, certainly they can take a bit of frost, but people seem to treat them as if they were tropicals. I'm not sure if they got their reputation from losing their roots in an extended cold dry winter or rotted from being damp and cold. As with many cacti in our climate, they would probably be happy to grow in winter if you kept them warm enough and gave them water, but you probably wouldn't be happy with the shape they took on.
Cheshire, UK
Joy G
BCSS Member

Post by Joy G »

so should I move the plumosa into the conservatory overwinter along with the H undatus? or leave it in the greenhouse with just bubblewrap for insulation?
Rev Joy
enjoying keeping Mamms, Eurphorbias and wee spiny beasties

Bradford UK
BCSS number 49386
sandi
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by sandi »

Hi,
my plumosa is acting weird it started growing these curved and straight spikes.
[IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f354/ ... G_2731.jpg[/IMG]

:rofl:
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Quick Sandi, sell it on :ebay:! You'll make a packet! ;)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Ah I think this is Ferollaria Sandi;)
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Joy my plumosa has grown happily with all my other cacti, kept bone dry in winter and just frost free.
Ali
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Too much fertiliser. Way too much!
Cheshire, UK