Picture perfect

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Lindsey
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Re: Picture perfect

Post by Lindsey »

Thanks, Rogan. (Hope you do get seed off your plants!) Anyone in UK tried growing this sp under lights in winter, would it help them to flower, I wonder?
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Phil White »

Rogan,
I didn't notice the Sprinbok. offsetting although I saw the smaller heads thinking they were seedlings !!! I don't think it is normal for to offset I have only ever heard of one plant doing this before & not sure if the plant is still alive.
Lindsey you have me thinking now I believe they are spring (Northern Hemisphere anyway) but as you say my plant indicates otherwise, it is also possible that it flowers twice !!
There is a useful table in Scott's book of flowering times if you don't have it PM me & I will scan it in when I get home later.
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

The only one I have seen offsetting was a rescue job I picked up somewhere that produced loads of small offsets but died (exhaustion??) before I could get it to root.

As to flowering can't remember specifically for springboks but I can say that many types do seem flower twice (in the UK at least) and I usually have Haworthias of some description in flower from Feb until about November.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
lenbell
Registered Guest

Post by lenbell »

My remaining springbokvlakensis grew a deformity that turned out to be an offset, but it detached when I repotted the plant, and withered away.

[attachment 14105 Haworthiaspringbokvlakensis12207-09-14Small.jpg]
Attachments
4SekRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAWAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAKAAAAqAAAABABAgAIAAAAsgAAABoBBQABAAAAugAAABsBBQABAAAAwgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgBubzEBAgALAAAAygAAABMCAwABAAAAAgCGh5iCAgAMAAAA1gAAAGmHBAABAAAABAEAACCkAgAhAAAA4gAAAJ4CAABTeW50ZWtFeGlmSW1hZ2V
4SekRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAWAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAKAAAAqAAAABABAgAIAAAAsgAAABoBBQABAAAAugAAABsBBQABAAAAwgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgBubzEBAgALAAAAygAAABMCAwABAAAAAgCGh5iCAgAMAAAA1gAAAGmHBAABAAAABAEAACCkAgAhAAAA4gAAAJ4CAABTeW50ZWtFeGlmSW1hZ2V (84.93 KiB) Viewed 509 times
Len Bell, Born-again Colchester member of the Clacton Branch BCSS; Mesemb Study Group; Mamm Soc & Haworthia Soc.
On the Forum since Sept 2007. Particularly keen on ... Lithops; Adros; Haworthias; Mamms;Lobivias;
Eriosyce; Euphorbias; Astros; Notos; Conos; Aloes; Agaves; Feros; Stenos; Echinocerei; Etc.; Etc.; ...
View a few at: http://picasaweb.google.com/len84bell/
Fellow Forum followers' visitations welcome. Please PM first.