Coryphantha kraciki

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David_L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Coryphantha kraciki

Post by David_L »

I've admired this plant at the last two ELK occasions and finally succumbed this year on Sunday morning when prices had dropped a little at the Duben-Kaktus stall. It really does look very attractive with the contrasting white tipped black spines. I can't find out much about the cultivation or origins of this plant. Google throws up very little in English. Does anyone know anything about it or have any experience cultivating it?
[attachment 14021 Coryphantha_kraciki.jpg]
Attachments
Coryphantha_kraciki.jpg
Coryphantha_kraciki.jpg (92.44 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Re: Coryphantha kraciki

Post by Chris43 »

Hi David,
It is a nice plant. I bought a couple from a Czech grower 2 years ago as seedlings and they are coming on fine, about the size of the one you have shown. The dark spines show that it is developing its adult spination.
It was described by Halda, Chalupa and Kupcak in 2002, and comes from the region of El Diamante in Durango, only the one location apparently, on limestone gravel hills at 1400m.
The book, Coryphantha by Dicht and Luthy has it in as a good species, and they differentiate it from C. pycnacantha and C. tripugionacantha because of the porrect centrals and the tubercle arrangement. They say that probably the closest species is salinensis or difficilis.
I hope this helps. If you want I can scan the page and send it to you..
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Pierre G
Registered Guest

Post by Pierre G »

Hello David,

C. kracikii comes from El Diamante area , Durango state, MEX.

This is a slow growing Coryphantha, at least on its own roots.
Duben plants are short pereskiopsis grafted so you'll have to deal with about cultivation. They are a bit tricky to root.

HTH

Pierre
sw of France
Pierre
sw of France

Astros-Thelos-Lophos-Arios addict ... but not despising nice agaves ;-)
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

I bought a grafted one last year, which has started to produce the recurved centrals this year (on Harrisia stock), and have also germinated 6 seedlings this year too, (along with C. tripugionacantha). Thanks for that info about rerooting, Pierre - think I'll leave it on the stock now!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

My plant looks like it is on its own roots, but I will de-pot it to check. I will be disappointed and a bit cross if it's not. Thanks for the information everyone.
David

Bromley Branch
Pierre G
Registered Guest

Post by Pierre G »

Very unlikely David. Sorry to say ...

I know Duben, and visit their nursery last year, I would bet a :)-D you'll find a short pereskiopsis.

I far I as know no own roots were available last week end. I was hunting for one ;) All were grafted, except 1 for the show (not for sale) in Duben (father, not son) stand.

Anyway your plant is very nice. (tu)

Pierre
sw of France
Pierre
sw of France

David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Thanks Pierre. Sounds like it might need to come indoors for the Winter as I keep my greenhouse at about +6 C, though having said that I have an Aztekium hintonii that's on a buried Pereskiopsis stock and that was fine in the greenhouse. It seems like it is the grafts with an exposed 'leg' of Pereskiopsis that are sensitive. Sorry I didn't meet you at ELK. I was wearing my forum badge most of the time.
David

Bromley Branch
Pierre G
Registered Guest

Post by Pierre G »

David_L Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>It seems like it is the grafts with an exposed 'leg'
> of Pereskiopsis that are sensitive.

I think you're right. I grow for instance a short spined E.horizonthalonius on such buried stock for 2 years now. It's doing fine in my unheated greenhouse (mini temp -6,6°C around january) and growing really well.

>Sorry I didn't meet you at ELK.
>I was wearing my forum badge most of the time.
Perhaps too shy to approach people... or too busy chasing plant ... or too [s]piss.. [/s] tired on friday night (:D Probably all 3.
We will perhaps meet together next year. If my Reading friend join, I'll probably end on late friday night at some awful "Brits" table to maintain l'Entente Cordiale :)-D

Pierre
sw of France
Pierre
sw of France

Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Phil White »

Pierre wrote :-

>We will perhaps meet together next year. If my Reading friend join, I'll probably end on late friday night at some awful "Brits" table to maintain l'Entente Cordiale

Don't worry we will be there to make sure you are drinking properly and not hiding with the "Francophone crew" !!!
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Pierre G
Registered Guest

Post by Pierre G »

Phil White Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't worry we will be there to make sure you are
> drinking properly and not hiding with the
> "Francophone crew" !!!
Yep ! The Reading Dwarf told me. Appointement is booked, Phil.:gve:

Pierre
sw of France
Pierre
sw of France