A mis-shapen Copiapoa

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

A mis-shapen Copiapoa

Post by iann »

I think the deformed piece will eventually become larger than the main head.
[attachment 14708 humilis17.jpg]
Attachments
humilis17.jpg
humilis17.jpg (79.29 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Cheshire, UK
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: A mis-shapen Copiapoa

Post by Liz M »

My first reaction was Ugh! Then would you call it monstrose? Can I see another peeping out on the right?
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Benjy
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Benjy »

Ive had this before on a krainziana, all that lot just dried up one day and i snapped it off, I have a fiedleriana right now doing the same thing, I,ll get a pic posted tomorrow, its too dark outside now.

Benjy
Benjy
BCSS Member

Post by Benjy »

Thought i will do it now afterall :), the flash was needed.

Benjy

Copiapoa fiedleriana

[attachment 14714 fiedleriana.jpg]
Attachments
RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgALAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAGAAAAnQAAABABAgAGAAAAowAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqQAAABsBBQABAAAAsQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAKAAAAuQAAADIBAgAVAAAAwwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2AAAAOIHAAAgICAgICAgICAgAE5JS09OAEU1NjAwACwBAAABAAAALAE
RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgALAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAGAAAAnQAAABABAgAGAAAAowAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqQAAABsBBQABAAAAsQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAKAAAAuQAAADIBAgAVAAAAwwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2AAAAOIHAAAgICAgICAgICAgAE5JS09OAEU1NjAwACwBAAABAAAALAE (82.49 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by CoronaCactus »

Interesting. Has the same look as C. tenuissima monstrose, but not quite as furry. (well, not with my plants anyway)

What specie is that Ian? I can't quite figure it out...
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

Fiedleriana, I reckon...?
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Looks like an abnormal growth caused by viral infection, I can't remember the name of the virus right now, but the important thing is that it can spread to other plants in the collection. I have seen this virus attacking plants in habitat here in Brazil, the deformed tumorous growth weakening and ultimately killing the afftected plants. Aphids, mealy bugs, scale insects and other suking insects can carry the virus from plant to plant and infect them.

I would not take any risks and destroy any infected plants before the virus has a chance to spread.

Cheers,

Marlon.
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Benjy
BCSS Member

Post by Benjy »

Hi Marlon,
wow, and there was me thinking im going to take better care of it this time and see what develops (:D

Benjy
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Hi Benjy,

You can still do that, but I would isolate this specimen from the rest of the collection, maybe having it at home instead of the greenhouse. After all, I might be wrong and you may have a natural monstrose Copiapoa after all, although an ugly one. But this growth form is VERY similar to that caused by the virus I mentioned.

Cheers,

Marlon.
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi
I have a Neoporteria that has been growing something similar for yrs.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.