Winter woes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mike C
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Winter woes

Post by Mike C »

First casualty Mam huitzipochtli - and it was a decent one too.Must be positive - it leaves a space for something new.

Also found some mealy bug on a Haworthia - first sign of them in 7 years.

Mike.
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Winter woes

Post by Ross M »

That's a shame Mike. Fortunately only one for me so far this winter, a young plant of Frailea mammifera 'robusta' GF616.

Fingers crossed for the rest of the winter!
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

I've luckily had nothing go yet, even all my cacties outside (3 T. terschekii, 2 T. pasacana, 4 C. strausii, 5 E. triglochidiatus and a bunch of different opuntia). I don't expect too much trouble in the greenhouse as I'm keeping it in the 10C+ range.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Did it freeze or rot? How cold?
Cheshire, UK
Jeff S
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY

Post by Jeff S »

That's an early loss Mike.My winter losses are usually at the beginning of spring.I know that sounds stupid,but you know what I mean.:shift:
Jeff S
Coventry Branch since 1988
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

Yes - beginners will learn that some plants won't bother to start up again in Spring and will turn up their toes. Grit your teeth time!
Thord
Registered Guest

Post by Thord »

Well,I don´t suffer many losses during the winter (around 5C),it´s more of losses all year round.Some are shortlived species,some others-I haven´t a clue!:bangh:
Thord. All kinds of smallgrowing cacti.
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

I have just discovered that my only Astrophytum capricorne seedling has shrivelled away to nothing, as has a Turb seedling. Everything else looks to be quite happy for the time being.
CactusGraham
BCSS Member
Branch: HUDDERSFIELD

Post by CactusGraham »

As I don't pamper my plants with any heat at all (the last few nights they have just been covered with newspaper) I'm happy to report that despite temperatures of -2 I have only lost one seedling Gymnocactus beguinii "senilis" so far. All of the seedlings from my March sowing this year are out on the bench in quarter trays and look fine. This is my normal method and I don't have that many casualties. It helps, of course if you choose varieties that are going to be able to stand these conditions. Being a thrifty Yorkshireman means I can spend the money I save on heating on seeds instead. :lolbt:
Graham. General collection, the majority seed grown Rebutias. BCSS #31295
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

No visible casualties from the cold yet. I'll offer Notocactus roseoluteus as my big surprise of this winter. -7C and still firm in its pot. Maybe its hasn't thawed out yet ;) Several Copiapoa species down to -3C and still OK.
Cheshire, UK