Seedlings from the "2005 seed pool clear-out"

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Seedlings from the "2005 seed pool clear-out"

Post by Stuart Estell »

This is the point at which you expect me to have written all the dates down, isn't it? ;)

I only got into the habit of writing dates on all the labels recently. I think all of those were sown last Feb, so 11 months-ish.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

That's great news, Stuart. Very good ot know that some at least worked for you. The differential growth rate of the Corryocactus is quite striking, isn't it. I wonder why? You would expect perhaps some difference, because of when they germinated, maybe slight differences in soil/moisture take-up, but that really is a lot.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart Estell »

It's odd, isn't it Chris? I do remember that the two smaller ones sat there doing nothing for ages and were far slower to germinate, but only by, say two or three weeks. One of them germinated with three cotyledons, but other than that, nothing remarkable really.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

I noticed a similar thing this year though, all my pachycereus species seedlings after 3 months had reached the size of some Trichocereus I'd had growing for 9 months.

I've found Cereus hilmannianus also had similarly fast growth, reaching 2 inches in height and looking like a proper cactus (rather than a generic seedling) 3 times as quickly as most Trichocereus sp.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Awww, look at the forbies! Thanks for the pic, Stuart. :D

There's a lot of difference in the size and stripiness on them, even at that age.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

I can well understand different growth rates for different species, let alone different genera. Its the difference between seed sown at the same time from the same packet.
I wonder if slower growth comes from "poorer" seed? And if seed quality will vary naturally even from the same seeed pod? If so, and it would be interesting to know from anyone if it is, then I suppose that these differences might be accentuated as the seed gets older. This could explain poorer germination from older seed, which is quite marked in some species, like the Fraileas commented upon on another thread.
Excuse my musings, as you'll gather, from a non botanist!
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart Estell »

Here's a thought - I'd forgotten that I've sown another batch of Corryocactus melanotrichus from another source (Koehres) - and these are all growing like the previous sowing's "runt" seedlings. I'd assume that the Koehres seed is relatively fresh though, so perhaps there is a mysterious "quality" factor at work.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I'm not sure that slow growth should be interpreted as poor seed. It is simply part of the variation in any batch of seed. Experiments have been done showing that seed from plants which have been cultivated for several generations germinates more quickly and completely, and then grows more quickly, than seed from habitat plants. The interpretation of this was that cultivated seed has been selected for quick germination and quick growth, but this may in fact not be helpful in habitat.

There are other interpretations of the result, but it is easy to believe that having "cautious" seed as well as "gung-ho" seed may overall be a benefit in a harsh unpredictable environment.
Cheshire, UK
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart Estell »

Interesting again, Ian - I believe my first batch of Corryocactus seed was habitat collected. It had a field number, in any case, whereas the Koehres seed has none.
Susanne
Registered Guest

Post by Susanne »

I have some Browningia Candelaris and Cereus Hildemannianis which were grown from old seed. I remember that we had a disscussion about old seed before. Some grow into nice plants despite their age. ( but yes I was never lucky with Fraileas).
I think that it is a bit of a waste to discard old seeds. I am always happy to take and sow them. Money that I get from plant sales from these seeds later goes back to the society.
So Chris if you have old seeds let me know I'll take them.
Susanne South Wales Branch