What's inside a Tephrocactus seed?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: What's inside a Tephrocactus seed?

Post by iann »

Another one which is desperately slow from seed is Tephrocactus (Puna) bonnieae. I've even seen statements that a majority of the seed is sterile, but my own dissection showed 100% of five seeds contained a viable looking embryo. The fresh seed is thoroughly wrapped up in its funicular coat, no trace visible from outside.

Its a shame that I destroyed one and badly damaged another :( Anyway, five days on from dissection and we have a little seedling wearing its hat :) One out of three isn't bad, one out of five if you count the two I "broke". Nothing came up from intact seed sown 3 months ago.
[attachment 15781 bonnieae1.jpg]
Attachments
8QAGwAAAgMBAQEAAAA
8QAGwAAAgMBAQEAAAA (54.12 KiB) Viewed 896 times
Cheshire, UK
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by CoronaCactus »

Cool, thanks Ian.
I never even thought with the big Opuntiod seeds there would be a seed within a seed (so to speak) Very interesting. I actually have some T. articulatus seeds to play with, as well as some cholla (C. echinocarpa) seeds i collected a few months back.

Should be fun trying to not cut my fingers off :D
Oh wait, maybe that won't be a problem...i have a small soldering station with multiple swivel arms and gator clips!
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

What seed compost are you using Ian? I see lots of cat litter, but what else is in there? Also are you presoaking the seed before sowing/dissection?
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Most of what you see is John Innes, but there is also some fine grit. Soaking the seeds is helpful because it softens the funicular coat which makes it easier to scrape away without using too much force. I'm not sure that soaking helps the seed to germinate, at least not until it is ready in other ways.
Cheshire, UK
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Stuart Estell »

No problems this end germinating the Tephrocactus fiambalensis nom. prov. seed from the BCSS list. One seedling already visible, and another hump in the soil, despite no scratching/chipping/molestation of the seed (tu)

(Edit...) these were sown on New Year's Day, so it's taken exactly a week for them to show themselves.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

I'll add Tephrocactus aoracanthus seed. The seed on the left and the one on the right show the shape best. The mushroom stem that is the actual seed is pointing up and the hat part is sitting on the paper. Not as big as some Tephrocactus seeds.
[attachment 16491 pediophilus1.jpg]
Attachments
8QAGgABAQEBAQEBAAA
8QAGgABAQEBAQEBAAA (91.05 KiB) Viewed 896 times
Cheshire, UK
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest

Post by CoronaCactus »

So when you chip away the seed coat, you chip away at the *hat* part, so not to damage the *stem* part?

Do i have that right?
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Whatever works for you, Darryl. I don't think I've found the magic bullet yet. I've dissected them down to bare embryos and even some of those don't sprout. Others obviously get damaged by the treatment. Sometimes completely intact seed sprouts at a good percentage, other times it won't move.
Cheshire, UK
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest

Post by CoronaCactus »

Ok, thanks.
I'll just start chipping away and see what happens ;)
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com