Caudiciforms at Kew ?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eveandrea
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Re: Caudiciforms at Kew ?

Post by Eveandrea »

Yes Robert, it does, it's called pachycaul(tu)

Victoria, this group of Gerrardanthus is impressive!
Eve

Turin - Italy
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Hi Eve,

I went for a wander around Kew Gardens today, having an annual ticket. The few caudiciforms that are on public display are nearly all in the c&s area of the Princess of Wales greenhouse and mostly near the Cyphostemmas. The Welwitschia and Blossfeldias are OK, unlike my pet Cotyledon orbiculata, DT3618, which is nearly dead after being pruned back! (They do have more samples of it in reserve).

Don't miss the baobab - it is fattening nicely - though few visitors notice it, because the label is too far from the paths to read. Being planted under the central ridge, it is just about the tallest plant in the c&s area. This Adansonia digitata has no leaves at present, but is shapely, tapering from a base about 25cm wide at the bottom.

The bookshop in the visitor's centre was disappointing as usual, but the scientific section is worth a look through. I did notice nice pachycaul Brighamia seedings on sale for £22 - expensive!!!

The new botanical art gallery is excellent, but I have been around twice now, so went elsewhere this time. Since there were leaves on the trees last time I visited, I thought the tree-top walkway would be worth another look. It is rusting beautifully! At the extremities, it was wobbling a bit in the wind and it was best not to look down through the metal grill floor! Very impressive!

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Leonet, thanks for the beautiful pictures! It looks an awesome place.

A "newbies to Kew - what to look for" thread is a great idea for archiving.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Eveandrea
Registered Guest

Post by Eveandrea »

Hi Derek,
with your detailed description (and the photos posted above) I got quite a good picture of the situation! I will keep in mind all your advices and visit also your pet Cotyledon. Surely I will not get any bargain-seeds for£22 ;) . If there is enough time, then I will dare to go on the tree-top walkway but I am already worrying about the 2 batteries of my digi that will not be enough :frown:
Now I hope that soon Kew will answer about the Living Collection Mike and DaveW mentioned.
A visit to Epsom is guaranteed ;) , I look forward to my trip to England!
Best wishes
Eve
Eve

Turin - Italy
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I've been to Kew many times but never noticed that Gerrardanthus.

I must look more carefully....

Mike.
Eveandrea
Registered Guest

Post by Eveandrea »

Sorry to cancel this posting, I made a mistake!

Eve
Eve

Turin - Italy