Argentina & Chile November 2008

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
David_L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Argentina & Chile November 2008

Post by David_L »

As Mike has mentioned a number of plants at Estancia Vieja had suffered fire damage, but were making a good recovery. This is Gymnocalycium mostii.
[attachment 15925 Gymnocalycium_mostii.jpg]
Attachments
8A
8A (97.74 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

As well as Gymnocalycium mostii and some lovely plants of Gymnocalycium quehlianum, Estancia Vieja also boasted a third Gymnocalycium species, Gymnocalycium calochlorum. See if you can spot the Gymnocalycium quehlianum that sneaks into this shot, and of course there's an Opuntia!
[attachment 15926 Gymnocalycium_quehlianum_an.jpg]
Attachments
QUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUF
QUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUF (90.77 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
David

Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Now it's unlike Mike to miss out on an Opuntia, but Opuntia salmiana, seen at Estancia Vieja, was certainly no beauty, but for sake of completeness ....
[attachment 15927 Opuntia_salmiana.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAkGBgYHBgkHBwkNCQcJDQ8LCQkLDxIODg8ODhIRDg8ODg8OEREUFRcVFBEbGx0dGxsnJiYmJywsLCwsLCwsLCwBCgkJCgsKDAoKDA8NDg0PEw4ODg4TFQ4OEA4OFRsUERERERQbGBoXFxcaGB4eGxs
2wCEAAkGBgYHBgkHBwkNCQcJDQ8LCQkLDxIODg8ODhIRDg8ODg8OEREUFRcVFBEbGx0dGxsnJiYmJywsLCwsLCwsLCwBCgkJCgsKDAoKDA8NDg0PEw4ODg4TFQ4OEA4OFRsUERERERQbGBoXFxcaGB4eGxs (99.73 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
David

Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

The vintage tractors were a bit mad, but here was the reason. Too bad we didn't have time to visit.;)
[attachment 15928 Tractor_museum.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEAAgFBQUGBQgGBggLBwYHCw0KCAgKDQ8MDA0MDA8RDA0NDQ0MEQ8REhMSEQ8XFxkZFxciISEhIiYmJiYmJiYmJiYBCAkJEA4QHRQUHSAaFRogJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiY
2wCEAAgFBQUGBQgGBggLBwYHCw0KCAgKDQ8MDA0MDA8RDA0NDQ0MEQ8REhMSEQ8XFxkZFxciISEhIiYmJiYmJiYmJiYBCAkJEA4QHRQUHSAaFRogJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiYmJiY (91.92 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
David

Bromley Branch
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Notice the strange lumps on the overhead wires? It's some kind of Bromeliad I guess. It was present wherever the conditions suited it. Who knows how the seeds germinate and get a foothold on the wire? Notice it's only on the bare twisted wire not the sheathed one. Presumably the seeds lodge in the twists.
[attachment 15929 Bromeliad_on_overhead_wires.jpg]
Attachments
bAIQABAMDAwMDBAMDBAYEBAQGBwUEBAUHCAcHBwcHCAsICQkJCQgLCwwMDAwMCw0NDg4NDRMSEhITFRUVFRUVFRUVFQEFBQUJCAkQCwsQFA4ODhQVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRU
bAIQABAMDAwMDBAMDBAYEBAQGBwUEBAUHCAcHBwcHCAsICQkJCQgLCwwMDAwMCw0NDg4NDRMSEhITFRUVFRUVFRUVFQEFBQUJCAkQCwsQFA4ODhQVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRUVFRU (95.54 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
David

Bromley Branch
Mike P
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I was intrigued that so many cacti grew in close proximity to each other. I'm not really sure what I had expected but finding half a dozen different plants within a few meters of each other was not it. I left the Opuntia out because my camera decided to focus on the leaves in front rather than the plant in question. Definitly not one of the more attractive species.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Benjy
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Benjy »

adhered to, through bird droppings ?
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Greats pics Mike and David!!

I was going to say like Benjy regarding bird poop and the bromeliads, you see the same in Mexico, whole cables covered in the things. I suppose any mositure/rain will also be held in the folds of the cable, long enough for germination to take place or maybe there's sufficient moisture in the bird poop as well as it being an excellent fertiliser. Not that I'm suggesting using it;)

So Oxalis is perfectly natural then and we should just leave it to romp away in our pots(:D
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by CoronaCactus »

Awesome pics!
Thanks for the day 1 tour :)

Can't wait for more Opuntia pics (tu)
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com

David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Yes Vic we saw plenty of Oxalis in Argentina. Some of the species were quite pretty. The dry grassland habitat that suits species like Gymnocalycium also suits Oxalis. This rather pretty one was at Estancia Vieja.
[attachment 15934 oxalis2.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEABEMDAwNDBENDREZEA4QGR0WEREWHSIXFxcXFyIhGh0cHB0aISEmKCsoJiE0NDg4NDRBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUEBEhAQExUTFxQUFxYSFRIWHBYYGBYcKRwcHhwcKTUmISEhISY1LzIrKysyLzk5NTU
2wCEABEMDAwNDBENDREZEA4QGR0WEREWHSIXFxcXFyIhGh0cHB0aISEmKCsoJiE0NDg4NDRBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUEBEhAQExUTFxQUFxYSFRIWHBYYGBYcKRwcHhwcKTUmISEhISY1LzIrKysyLzk5NTU (97.55 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
David

Bromley Branch