Large Yuccas

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Martin S
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: PLYMOUTH

Large Yuccas

Post by Martin S »

Hello,
I would like to have a go at a large yucca, for example brevifolia. Does anyone have any advice, or can they tell me where to get seed or seedlings?

Thanks in advance
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Large Yuccas

Post by Ross M »

I grew Y. brevifolia (Joshua trees) from seed about 10 years ago. I recall they came up like cress, grew well for a few years and then pegged it one by one. They simply lost their roots, which I think was caused by a lack of uniformity in watering whilst still young. I still have one on the go, which looks OK.

They'll take a long time to get to any decent size 'though.
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

Roger Mann
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by Roger Mann »

Hello Martin,

Doug Rowland has Yucca seed but not Yucca brevifolia (Joshua tree). He has had this one in the past as I have a plant under my outside porch which came from his seedlist. Have you seen "Agaves, Yuccas and related plants" by Mary & Gary Irish...........a good book.

................................ROGER..........................
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Martin,

From what I know, this is one of the most difficult plants to raise. As Ross mentioned, they are easy to sprout....but hate being transplanted, at any age.

Ross, I don't think it has anything to do with watering...they just don't like their roots disturbed.

I have two seedlings in a 12" pot ... and the weaker will be removed!

-R
Martin S
Registered Guest

Post by Martin S »

I recieved an e-mail today from Chiltern seeds.They have them in stock even though their website says otherwise. Thanks for the advice people, I think I might still give this a go.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Might be worth considering Yucca filifera - seed is often listed as Yucca australis. Looks much the same as the Joshua Tree but it is a heck of a lot more forgiving regarding soil and humidity. Faster too. Plus, when it gets too big for the greenhouse, you can plant it outside.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Martin S
Registered Guest

Post by Martin S »

Ross, I understand what you said about Joshua Tree coming up like cress. I only sowed them on saturday in the propagator, its monday and a couple are popping up allready!!

Do I have to worry about fungal attack in the propagator?