BCSS Branch table shows

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Lindsey
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Re: BCSS Branch table shows

Post by Lindsey »

Thanks folks. Table shows seem to be alive and well, in many branches.

I notice all responses have been "Yes" to my first question.
In my previous branch - which has now merged with a larger branch - there were too few of us to have a table show.

Now, does anyone's branch NOT have a table show for this or any other reason? Just wondering....
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hi Lindsey

My branch doesn't despite being probably the largest and most active branch of the society :P

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

Hi Lindsey,

Sadly Sheffield branch chose not to hold any table shows this year due to a lack of participation and no longer being able to fund a prize. For the immediate future we are inviting members to bring along any plant of interest to share with other members.

Previously however we used to have a chosen genus each month with 2 classes, one for unlimited size pots and one for pots up to about 4 inch in size I think. We also had an unlimited pot size class for any other succulent in flower. All entries were judged by that nights visiting speaker and the results recorded. Each winning entrant had their name placed into a prize draw to win a years free membership.

I entered a few times although I would have liked to have been able to enter more often.
Dot
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Dot »

As A Sheffield branch member, I always looked at the Table Show as a learning excercise for entering plants for our Annual Show.

It does take some effort and commitment to bring plants along to the Branch meeting,but I used to enjoy entering the classes. Sadly, as Matthew says,the Branch chose not to hold any Table shows this year. I for one miss them.

Dot.
Dot
Zone 3 Rep.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I find the Bromley table show to be very well supported both by Bromley branch members and members from adjoing branches bringing plants as well. It is a good chance to see some excellent plants and the 'plant in flower' section always seems to throw up something of interest each month. The winners at ours are recorded and awarded points with the person who accumulates the most points over the year winning a bottle of wine.
Mike
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

Mike P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

with the person who accumulates the
> most points over the year winning a bottle of
> wine

Is this announced/presented at your AGM?
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.