There may be a problem with this plant !

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
B.A.
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CORNWALL

There may be a problem with this plant !

Post by B.A. »

Bruce
North Essex

Lindsey
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Re: There may be a problem with this plant !

Post by Lindsey »

(tu) for Titanopsis Bruce :) Mine are in the unheated garden frame, and look good despite the snow and frosts.
Ermmm the other plants look as if you could do with a trip to a good C&S nursery in the next month or so, to get some replacements lined up 8-)
Hope your lithops are OK.
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by IanW »

What on earth has happened to that first one, it looks like it's been attacked by a 20ft mealy bug or something!

Shame about the Stenocereus thurberi, they're lovely plants, defo one of my favourites in the Stenocereus family second only to perhaps Stenocereus marginatus.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Yes I have found some casualties today.

I had to bin 2 mature Disco's & 2 small ones, that had gone a funny colour & the small ones had collapsed :cry:.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Ross M »

That's a real shame Bruce. Always a sickener to discover plants like that. I'm surprised that the Astro. ornatum succumbed as I've grown mine without heat for years. Perhaps some clones are hardier than others?
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

I've had more than my share this winter of the horrible fluffy mould, mostly on Feros and other plants which have extra floral nectaries but not to that degree Bruce. I've cleaned most off with a fine paint brush dipped into a fungicide, you do however notice the spores becoming airborne whilst doing this. I think all should be ok though come spring, after they've had a good clean up.

Always something to keep you occupied:X
B.A.
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by B.A. »

Hi Lindsey,yes plenty of replacements, Lithops and Lapidaria doing well (tw) thanks.
Apart from the Hobbit thing they were all my seed grown plants Ian with the steno being a particular fave so yes bit of a shame.
Yes Ross rather upset to lose a double headed astro,do you suffer with condensation in your unheated gh as i think this has been a major problem mine has been running wet.
Same here Vic , loads of the fluffy stuff but i think the bigger ones will be ok, the fero pictured did have some damage.Hopefully i,ll get some electrics put on this year so i can get some air moving.

[IMG]http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll10 ... 09/006.jpg[/IMG]
Bruce
North Essex