Is this scorch? I have never had this before.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: Is this scorch? I have never had this before.

Post by Nick »

Does Benjy`s Copiapoa trick i.e. decapitation, work on Feros? I would have thought so!
Nick
Richard1
Registered Guest

Post by Richard1 »

many thanks for the replies!.

Its unusual why this has happened this year because the large porch I keep them in is heated to 10-15C.with a new heater !

I live in the North West of England and the air is particularly high in humidity and cold during the winter so maybe one day it was chilled and fungus got hold as Amante's post said.

I have checked for red spider and there isn't any- the whole collection is clean and if there is a new plant its 'quarantined' in the house for a few months. The webs were from a resident small spider that lived on the plant.

I will be off then tomorrow to get a fungicide then and treat the whole lot i think.

Its a real shame because the plant was spotless until now- a good size and colour.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Hi Richard, Welcome to the Forum. Sorry to hear about your ferocactus, it sounds like you might need to start again, if you want one that is spotless. Where in the North-West do you live? We have a few thriving branches here, if you are interested.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Hi Richard, :welc: to the forum. I agree this is the result of cold/humidity, I get the same thing on mine too, F. latispinus seems very prone to this disfigurement, and as Vic suggests, they should be kept in a dry and warmer environment over winter.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Here is one reason why I don't think this is simply down to cold and humidity. This seedling and all its friends calmly sailed through the coldest December and January in a decade and then on one unremarkable February day it developed a striking pattern of orange splotches.
[attachment 16817 alba6.jpg]
Attachments
8QAGgAAAgMBAQAAAAA
8QAGgAAAgMBAQAAAAA (95.87 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
Cheshire, UK
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Ross M »

I have noticed the same on some of my Turbinicarpus Ian. They've never had it before.
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

FQ
Registered Guest

Post by FQ »

i think your Ferocactus gracilis may be grafted.
Rootstocks may be infected with the bacteria. :(
B.A.
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by B.A. »

Hi Richard, here,s my Latispinus not pretty:cry:
[attachment 16832 004.JPG]
Attachments
4RI0RXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgACAEPAAIAAAAOAAAIegEQAAIAAAAGAAAIiAESAAMAAAABAAEAAAExAAIAAAAoAAAIjgEyAAIAAAAUAAAItgITAAMAAAABAAIAbIdpAAQAAAABAAAIyuocAAcAAAgMAAAAbgAAAAAc6gAAAAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
4RI0RXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgACAEPAAIAAAAOAAAIegEQAAIAAAAGAAAIiAESAAMAAAABAAEAAAExAAIAAAAoAAAIjgEyAAIAAAAUAAAItgITAAMAAAABAAIAbIdpAAQAAAABAAAIyuocAAcAAAgMAAAAbgAAAAAc6gAAAAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (30.91 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
Bruce
North Essex

Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

I have exactly the same on my Echinocactus grusonii but only on the south facing side also on a e.grusonii seedling like ian's (again on south facing side). The seedling had the same last year and recovered fine.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Alex
Registered Guest

Post by Alex »

This is probably the same thing that affected all of my Mammillaria solisioides this Winter, posted on a while ago. Last year the same also happened to a new Pediocactus simpsonii, but not an older one I had had for longer.

Alex