Dioscorea basiclavicaulis for Evelyn

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Dioscorea basiclavicaulis for Evelyn

Post by Marlon Machado »

Eveandrea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have read somewhere a comment of Marlon that
> there are no seeds of Dioscorea basiclavicaulis as
> the plant grows several meters high up on trees,
> also the one in Zürich never developed flowers.

Evelyn is right, I never found seeds of this plant in habitat, because the vines grow high up on the trees.

Cheers,

Marlon.
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Eveandrea
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Eveandrea »

Hi Marlon,

this is really an impressive plant! I wonder what those little leaves on the side if the new stem are, they seem to have dried on the main stem. Do they have any function?
Have a nice trip, cheers
Evelyn
Eve

Turin - Italy
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Hi Evelyn,

Those are rudimentary leaves that do not have a function really, later they will dry up. It is like the small leaves on the new cladodes of opuntias. It is only when the stem tapers to a vine that the leaves develop fully.

Cheers,

Marlon.
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Now the new stem has expanded to its full size:
[attachment 17815 p4280074.jpg]
Attachments
4SqnRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA4BAgAgAAAAngAAAA8BAgAYAAAAvgAAABABAgARAAAA1gAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA6AAAABsBBQABAAAA8AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgALAAAA+AAAADIBAgAUAAAABAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAKAMAAKXEBwAQAgAAGAEAAOILAABPTFl
4SqnRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA4BAgAgAAAAngAAAA8BAgAYAAAAvgAAABABAgARAAAA1gAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA6AAAABsBBQABAAAA8AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgALAAAA+AAAADIBAgAUAAAABAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAKAMAAKXEBwAQAgAAGAEAAOILAABPTFl (97.78 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
Marlon Machado.

Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

It is now the largest stem of the plant:
[attachment 17817 p4280076.jpg]
Attachments
4ShfRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA4BAgAgAAAAngAAAA8BAgAYAAAAvgAAABABAgARAAAA1gAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA6AAAABsBBQABAAAA8AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgALAAAA+AAAADIBAgAUAAAABAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAKAMAAKXEBwAQAgAAGAEAAOILAABPTFl
4ShfRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA4BAgAgAAAAngAAAA8BAgAYAAAAvgAAABABAgARAAAA1gAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA6AAAABsBBQABAAAA8AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgALAAAA+AAAADIBAgAUAAAABAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAKAMAAKXEBwAQAgAAGAEAAOILAABPTFl (98.63 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
Marlon Machado.

Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Wow, it does not let the dust settle on itself!

My Kleinia has little leaves whenever it makes a new candle, but they die off when the candle matures. Could it be that the surface area of the leaf for it's little amount of matter, gives a boost to the new stem or candle? I guess it would lose more water, but then I bet the plant only invests in a new stalk when it's got a good supply.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Socotranboy
Registered Guest

Post by Socotranboy »

[attachment 17847 Neoalsomitra_podagrica_net.jpg]

A really great similitude with Neoalsomitra podagrica (my picture)

Alain :baringt:
Attachments
+AAEEpGSUYAAQE
+AAEEpGSUYAAQE (13.07 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

It's a little work of art, Alain.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Eveandrea
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Eveandrea »

Marlon,
this is an amazing growth! It is also very funny for me to see those typical macrostachya leaves associated with these wax-like, green, smooth and spiny stems while I am used to see the brownish, crevassed bark-like caudex of the "usual" Dioscoreas.

The only Dioscorea that is similar to the basiclavicaulis is this D. altissima, photographed in RBG of Kew. Alain's Neoalsomitra is B)- quite similar to the basiclavicaulis, maybe it is really one?
[img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4425/kwd ... ma1az7.jpg[/img]
Eve

Turin - Italy
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Hi Evelyn,

Neoalsomitra podagrica is a cucurb - it belongs in the family. Cucurbitaceae The similarity to Dioscorea basiclavicaulis is probably just a matter of coincidence, perhaps convergence of growth form due to similar conditions found in their habitats. But other than this, there is no close relationship between the two!

On the other hand, Dioscorea altissima might indeed be closely related to Dioscorea basiclavicaulis :)

Cheers,

Marlon.
Marlon Machado.