Dioscorea basiclavicaulis for Evelyn

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eveandrea
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Re: Dioscorea basiclavicaulis for Evelyn

Post by Eveandrea »

Hi Marlon,

I didn't know that Neoalsomitra is a Cucurbitacea... Staying with spines, can you tell me how close the plant of this stem might be to basiclavicaulis and altissima :D ?

[IMG]http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7595/ddornen1.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers
Eve
Eve

Turin - Italy
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

I have repotted the plant of Dioscorea basiclavicaulis, below is a picture showing the peculiar tuberous roots this species develops:
[attachment 19075 p6100017.jpg]
Attachments
4SJvRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA4BAgAgAAAAngAAAA8BAgAYAAAAvgAAABABAgARAAAA1gAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA6AAAABsBBQABAAAA8AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgALAAAA+AAAADIBAgAUAAAABAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAKAMAAKXEBwAQAgAAGAEAAOILAABPTFl
4SJvRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA4BAgAgAAAAngAAAA8BAgAYAAAAvgAAABABAgARAAAA1gAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA6AAAABsBBQABAAAA8AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgALAAAA+AAAADIBAgAUAAAABAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAKAMAAKXEBwAQAgAAGAEAAOILAABPTFl (97.03 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Actually I am unsure if these are tuberous roots or true tubers - it could be a swelling at the end of a special root, or the same thing at the end of a stolon. I need to cut one to find out! Below is a close-up of these storage organs:
[attachment 19076 p6100012.jpg]
Attachments
4SbCRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA4BAgAgAAAAngAAAA8BAgAYAAAAvgAAABABAgARAAAA1gAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA6AAAABsBBQABAAAA8AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgALAAAA+AAAADIBAgAUAAAABAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAKAMAAKXEBwAQAgAAGAEAAOILAABPTFl
4SbCRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA4BAgAgAAAAngAAAA8BAgAYAAAAvgAAABABAgARAAAA1gAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA6AAAABsBBQABAAAA8AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgALAAAA+AAAADIBAgAUAAAABAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAKAMAAKXEBwAQAgAAGAEAAOILAABPTFl (99.06 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Eveandrea
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Eveandrea »

This is amazing! It is a pachycaul plant with roots and tubers or whatever they are, I am curious to read your conclusions on what funktion they have!
Eve

Turin - Italy