Strombocactus disciformis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Strombocactus disciformis

Post by Phil Hocking »

This was flowering on my windowsill yesterday. The flower doesn't last long so I was lucky to catch it.

Somerset Phil
[attachment 17354 strombocactus_5a.jpg]
Attachments
strombocactus_5a.jpg
strombocactus_5a.jpg (62.08 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Wiebe
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Strombocactus disciformis

Post by Wiebe »

Mine is in flower as well. Not for the first time this year and not for the last time either.

Wiebe
[attachment 17355 Strombocactusdisciformis.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (87.87 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Stuart Estell »

Lovely Phil. Mine is in bud but a good week or more off flowering at the moment I think.

Is it me, or does your plant look as though it has some turb "blood" in it? It doesn't look quite right to me for a pure-bred strombocactus, unless there are forms that I'm just not familiar with.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Hi Stuart

You could be right. I'm afraid it came via the Internet and all I can do is call it variety 'ebayensis'

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

It does have rather Turb-looking tubercles and spines, but the flower is exactly right for Strombocactus. It may just be a fat young plant, although I have to say I've not noticed the spines go through quite that stage. They normally start as very thin four or five (sometimes pubescent) arranged in a star shape, get a little stranger and stiffer as the plant ages, and then eventually fall off the oldest tubercles.
Cheshire, UK
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Nice photos! Mine is quite a way behind with buds that have a good 2 -3 weeks to go I would imagine!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!