Rooting Tephrocactus etc. cuttings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ross M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Rooting Tephrocactus etc. cuttings

Post by Ross M »

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to rooting these plants. Is it best to keep the compost on the damp or dry side whilst getting them to root:shrugs:

Thanks
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

Stuart Estell
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Re: Rooting Tephrocactus etc. cuttings

Post by Stuart Estell »

Yes (tu)

Generally, I tend to leave them dry for a few weeks, and then start to water them.

Some tunillas etc are unstoppable and will root if left out on a shelf, others take longer - some true tephrocacti can take a year or two if they're being stubborn. Likewise, micropuntia seem to want to be almost shrivelled to death before making an effort.

With true tephros (i.e. articulatus, alexanderi, geometricus, bonnieae, weberi and friends) make sure you bury them well, as they tend to root from areoles rather than the cut surface. I've had bonnieae do both, but not the others.

Might be able to offer more specific advice if you can tell us exactly what you're trying to root, Ross.
Benjy
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Benjy »

Yes, i found bonnieae will root 'right way up' and also from the sides,
but others are best laid on their sides, particularly with T.molinensis,
after some time - id realised i got nowhere trying to root them upright, like Stuart says, buried well on their sides they are now taking.

I havent rooted geometricus before, but the 2 heads i broke off the other day (mentioned in another thread) ive buried those in on their sides.
Unless anyone can advise me otherwise ?

I put my cuttings in trays and water when dry, on the way round doing the rest of my plants.

Benjy
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I found articulatus roots much better in the propagator with wet compost. When kept dry at nromal temperature the joints often just shrivel up without throwing any roots out
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
CoronaCactus
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by CoronaCactus »

I've found that some of them take well when rooting in just coarse sand. Some do better when buried (right side up) but somewhat deep so just the tip is visible. While others do well just laying on thier sides on top of the sand. (Cumulopuntia sphaerica, Tephro articulatus v. diadematus and v. papryacanthus, T. weberi and T. darwinii/hickenii) They get watered (more like a misting) when watering the other plants. Once rooted they get moved to a regular compost.

If i leave them too dry for too long, the original rooting stem can shrivel, change color and look near death...but the new growth is kicking right along and the roots usually look very healthy.
Darryl
Zone 10 - Southwest USA
CoronaCactus.com