Your choice! Must have plants...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Your choice! Must have plants...

Post by Cactus Kid »

If you could have only one cactus and one other succulent what would they be?

This should be fun! It doesn't have to be in your collection at the moment, you can choose any two plants. I’ve been trying to imagine choosing my own two plants but am having a bit of a job.:shrugs: At the moment it would probably be a mammillaria luethyi and one of the Pseudolithos. But then I find loads more I couldn't possibly do without:bangh:

Go on, make your choice. I want a definitive list of Must Have plants!
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Suwich
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Your choice! Must have plants...

Post by Suwich »

Copiapoa Cinerea and Jatropha cathartica for me :)o
Suwich
Bangkok, Thailand
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Mammillaria saboae ssp. goldii and Gasteria rawlinsonii.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

There is not much that I must have, it would be much easier to write a "must get rid of" list. A pink-flowered Astrophytum asterias would be nice, and I have seen a few Pterocactus clones that I wouldn't mind at all.

Edit: Oh, if I could keep only one (I misread - thought it would be only one extra ...)? Too difficult, maybe a Lobivia haemathanta. Then I would select an Opuntia or Pterocactus too, claiming that they are succulents after all.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

Melocactus intortus and Cipocereus bradei would probably be my first two choices, but it's hard as there's plenty more that I could also choose! Micranthocereus densiflorus, Pilosocereus leucocephalus, Brasiliopuntia brasiliensis and in fact, most of the remaining Arrojadoa and Micranthocereus would come pretty high up on the list as well as many others.
johno
Registered Guest
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by johno »

it has to be a varigated agave in Cok Grootscholtens collection.Also
mam haudeana.
JOHNO
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

Sulcorebutia rauschii and ....... I'm still thinking about the other succulent:)
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Ariocarpus fissuratus, an old standby, but still one of the most interesting cacti ever....even without the beautiful flowers, it would still be my #1 choice.

Euphorbia sepulta, the "pocket" Euphorbia, not just coz it can fit in your pocket, but becuz it's so darned cute!

-R
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

If I could only have two I'd probably not have any; two would remind me of what I couldn't have. It'd be better to forget about C&S altogether. :(
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Thord
Registered Guest

Post by Thord »

That´s a really hard one since I´m very fond of every one of my plants,but maybe it would be Aztekium ritteri and Euphorbia cylindrifolia ssp tuberisulcata
Thord. All kinds of smallgrowing cacti.