Well hello there

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Well hello there

Post by CactusFanDan »

It seems to be forum etiquette for people to introduce themselves, so I thought I would as well. :smile: Hello everyone, i'm Dan, 16, from Manchester. My collection's relatively small at the moment, but considering my growing space consists of mostly windowsills, i'm not doing too bad. :grin:
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Well hello there

Post by Diane »

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum! It's good to see younger cactus fans interested in growing these fascinating plants. Hope you enjoy the forum, any questions you have, just ask!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Wellcome aboard Dan. Don't worry about the size of your collection, I'm sure its going to be huge few decades later :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

A very warm welcome, Dan, to the Forum. You will find lots of friendly people here, with lots of good advice. Best wishes,
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Ray_M
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK
Role within the BCSS: Publications Manager

Post by Ray_M »

A very warm welcome to the forum Dan,I am sure if you went to your local bcss group you would find lots of new friends and help with plants.Enjoy the hobby,good luck,Ray.
Ray Mitchell,member of South Norfolk group.living on Suffolk/Norfolk border,near Diss.Keen on all cacti and succulents,alpines and other plants.BCSS member since 07.Visitors welcome,PM first please.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Hi Dan
Welcome to the forum
There are a few people on here from the Manchester area
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Nice to meet you Dan. Consider joining the BCSS some time soon. You'll find the Journal very interesting and informative (not too technical), but of course, feel free to ask anything here.

Cheers,
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum. If you have transport October is the annual bring and buy auction for Sheffield branch so you could come and dramatically increase the size of your collection :grin: . Most plants are sold at bargain prices and I've had many a fine plant over the years. It's well worth checking the events schedules for nearby branches for similar auctions or talks that might interest you.
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by CactusFanDan »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :smile: As for becoming a member, i'll probably be able to join soonish, probably early october, so I might be able to catch that auction in sheffield. :wink:

Also, a bit off-topic and cheeky, but I don't suppose anyone has any Selenicereus or Pereskiopsis cuttings they could give me? :grin: I quite fancy attempting a graft or two. If no one has any spare, I can always butcher my H. undatus.
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I have some Pereskiopsis plants that could be butchered, although I know some have had mealy bug this year, and I wouldn't want to infect you with them! - if nobody else can help I'll clean a few bits up. Unless you're set up with artificial lighting and propagators and such you wouldn't want to do much grafting until late spring, I don't think. Not for your first attempts, anyway.
You're not far away - are you thinking of attending either the Manchester BCSS meetings (or Macc & E. Cheshire, my branch, if Wilmslow's closer than Middleton)?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia