Cacti and succulents never offered for sale

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cristi
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Cacti and succulents never offered for sale

Post by Cristi »

I have a propose: let's write cacti and succulent species impossible to find as plants in commercial plant lists.I mean as own roots plants. I am sure many of us would like to find special plants and may be this topic would be an inspiration for gardeners.
My beginning list:
Austrocephalocereus superfloccosus
Cephalocereus columna-trajani
Copiapoa solaris
Coryphantha jalpanensis
Eriosyce laui
Espostoa utcubambensis, calva
Haageocereus tenuis
Jasminocereus thouarsii
Notocactus katharinae
Parodia gibulossoides, koehresiana
Pygmaeocereus densiaculeatus
Stenocereus benekei
Weingartia cummingii
Last edited by Cristi on Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cristi
LithopsRule
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cacti and succulents never offered for sale

Post by LithopsRule »

Good thought!

This ties in nicely with my recent posting about what to grow for amateur sale: http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... 1&t=152234

All I need to do is offer for sale the 100 20-year-old Copiapoa solaris I happen to have up my sleeve, and I can fund my prospective new greenhouse! (I am kidding, in case that was unclear...)
Euan Arnott (Cheshire, UK)

Novice grower renewing his teenage enthusiasm. Rapidly burgeoning Lithops, Lophophora, and Ferocactus populations, plus a few old stalwarts which have acompanied me through the years!
sechjoh
Registered Guest

Post by sechjoh »

Eriosyce spectabilis FK 62
/Christer DPP4, Capture One 10, CombineZM
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I think the reason that several of these plants are not frequently seen for sale is that the names are made up :grin:
Cheshire, UK
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

iann wrote:I think the reason that several of these plants are not frequently seen for sale is that the names are made up :grin:
I was wondering that. Austrocephalocereus superflocosus is probably just Pilosocereus superflocosus which is... just Pilosocereus gounellei.

Most of those in the original list can probably be found just by seeking the correct names of the plants and looking for those selling under correct names!

Still, for me, the list would have to include some harder to acquire Cipocereus-

Cipocereus pusilliflorus
Cipocereus laniflorus
Cipocereus pleurocarpus

But not just own roots plants, even seeds of these species would be something! If we're talking own roots plants then you can list nearly all Melocactus, Cipocereus, Micranthocereus, Arrojadoa, Uebelmannia as a pain to get hold of.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

IanW wrote:
Most of those in the original list can probably be found just by seeking the correct names of the plants and looking for those selling under correct names!
Or sometimes the incorrect name! I bought a small grafted Parodia gibbulosoides on that well-known auction site a few weeks ago from a German seller - labelled Parodia gibbolosa! And for just 4 Euros. He had another just a week ago.

I have sold another plant on Cristi's list - admittedly a cristate form, on the same site.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Shhhhh Diane, dont tell that to Cristi... Even cristate... tsk tsk tsk :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Stapeliads never seem to make it on to the BCSS seed distribution list - I often wonder why

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I've seen stapeliads offered at some other forum. No pics tho. I think there were about 15 different ones, prices ranged from 5E to 10 E (I think). I hope they were not cuttings :) Wiebe should know if thats rip off or not...
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

I've been seeking Ferocactus Macrodiscus subsp. Septentrionalis for the past 20+ years. One must be out there somewhere...........