Winter activities...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
FlorentG
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Winter activities...

Post by FlorentG »

Hello!

I'm coming back home for a few days... The plants are well and my mother has just built up 8 more shelves, so that my 3000 plants could fit in the veranda.

Many south-africans are waking up... lets see...

Tylecodon bodleyae. I didn't even know what the flowers would look like, and the "wolly" petals seem to be a rather unique feature in the genus !!

The plant is only 4 cm high.

Conophytum minutum is putting new sheats. From seeds collected at Steven Hammer's.

Pseudolithos eylensis, an ever growing rock. Flowered last month, grafted on a Ceropegia bulbosa.

Vessels inside a baby Dorstenia hildebranthii.

Conophytum angelicae, a quite old plant!

Tylecodon kritsingeri, Rosyntjiesberge, very fast growing plant !!

Bulbine sp... I lost track of her precise identification.

The old flower of Conophytum pellucidum pulls up the old sheat!

Impatiens tuberosa, best blossom ever.

Florent
Josse
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Winter activities...

Post by Josse »

If I can see well enough, there are a delicate filaments on the petals of that T.bodleyae.
Very unusual. Beautiful little plant though. :razz:

Thanks for the pictures Florent. (tu)
Josse
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest

Post by Morgans Beauty »

Tylecodon bodleyae... a very incredible plant :shock: beautiful! THX for sharing these great pix (tu)
regards michael
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Beautiful bulbine - I love those fat little leaves!

C. pellucidum always flowers for me, but it's never caught the old skin like that.

Beatiful pics, like the hairy flowers too. :mrgreen:
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Ray_M
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK
Role within the BCSS: Publications Manager

Post by Ray_M »

Great to see the tylecodons and the bulbine,both of much interest to me Florent.Thanks for sharing the smashing pics as usual.The mesem and pel seeds you sent me are all growing well.Good luck in your travels, please keep us informed.Cheers,Ray.
Ray Mitchell,member of South Norfolk group.living on Suffolk/Norfolk border,near Diss.Keen on all cacti and succulents,alpines and other plants.BCSS member since 07.Visitors welcome,PM first please.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Hi Florent,

That Bulbine looks like one of the southern B. mesembryanthemoides (or however it is spelt!).

I love the T. kritzingeri seedling - wonder how much growth it can make in a season?

Your T. bodleyae is not 'typical' with a narrow stem and a reddish streak on the flower. At the only locality, it does intergrade with T. similis down the mountainside, as Peter Bruyns told me. Very interesting ... the T. bodleyae plants at the top could be interpreted as ancient hybrids between T.similis and T. torulosus (not very far away to the N at Karrachabpoort, with the long tubular flowers clustered in a compact inflorescence), then back-crossed to T. simils to give the intermediates. Evolution in action creating a new species???

T. torulosus interacts (a little) with T. buchholtzianus as well in the Karrachabpoort, the only other population I know with intermediates between two species. Other field hyrids observed have just been single specimens. Have you noticed any?

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
FlorentG
Registered Guest

Post by FlorentG »

Hi Derrek!

We found many Tylecodon kritsingeri (always on west-facing slopes) on Rosyntjiesberge. I may actually be much more widespread than we thought !! It's just well hidden. It can sometimes grow 15cm a year in nature (from what we've seen).

Rosyntjiesberge, 5km W of Oemsberg

Very interesting story about the hybrids.

I don't know any other case of interbreeding except the well known T. paniculata X T. wallichi/cacalioides found S. of Ladismith in great numbers with many different intermediates.

Best wishes,

Florent
Apicra
BCSS Member

Post by Apicra »

HI Florent,

That has to challenge T. ventricosus for the title of most-ugly Tylecodon! I thought they could grow 30 cm or more in a year, to judge by one at Kirstenbosch.

Of course! The natural hybrid T. cacaloides X paniculatus was christened C. fergusoniae, but I have never noticed any in the veld. It is present in cultivation - I was shown one recently from ELK. Got any more info/piccies?

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
FlorentG
Registered Guest

Post by FlorentG »

Hi Derrek,

This is abondant a few km W of the Muiria locality, on the hills, south-facing.

Tylecodon fergusoniae! Found in 2008. There was all the intermediates between both species.

Best wishes,

Florent
Apicra
BCSS Member

Post by Apicra »

I would love to see the flowers on that to see how they combine characters! It does not look that much different from wallichii/cacaloides (which are difficult to tell apart of course without flowers). I suppose it is the lack of phylllopodia (leaf base stalks) on the stem and the brown peeling bark which indicates that it is a T. paniculatus hybrid.

Thanks - I must look harder in future!

Best wishes,
Derek